Thursday 16 March 2023

Critique Survivor

 

October, 2022: I [Barbara McKay] attended my first Omega Writers Conference at Kingscliffe, NSW as a CALEB finalist. At 78 years of age, I was probably the oldest participant, but with 2 Tim. 1:7 ‘God has not given us a spirit of timidity, or cowardice or fear’ uppermost in my mind, I head-butted my fears.

Nola Passmore from the Toowoomba Chapter of Omega Writers (Quirky Quills) drove me to the resort. I pretended to be intelligent in my conversation. After that weekend, I joined the Toowoomba group.

On the 4th Feb, 2023: came the directive: ‘Bring two pages of writing, double-spaced, for those who will critique your work.’

My children’s story (about 500 words) was about rescuing an injured koala. We broke out into small groups, landing me with fellow Chapter members, Adele and Pamela, who took time to read my story. I felt as if I were in a court of law: The judgement of my writing began—with both written and verbal words.  


In feedback, I received comments such as:

‘Show [do] not tell’ 

‘POV – whose point of view?’  

‘Clearer story progression needed’

‘Use strong verbs’ 

I was in a daze as I walked away and spoke to another new writer to the group, about our ‘Crit Session’. For me, writer’s block set in. For two weeks I contemplated ‘Point of View’ when writing. ‘How do I re-write this story?’ I asked myself.

The 17th Feb (two weeks later): Pamela sent a message on the Writing Messenger thread.

‘How are you going with your story, Barb? I can see the picture you painted with you writing. Look forward to reading it again.’ 

Shock set in as I read her words. I responded. 

‘O dear, Pamela, a writer who is taking me seriously! [I feel like] I’m sitting in the Year 6 classroom listening to the teacher explaining “Point of View”. How do I write from the perspective of an 8-year-old? And you, the teacher, will not let me out of the classroom till I do this task?’

Pamela responded:

‘Oh Barbara. I don’t want to see you give up! [A]bsolutely—you can write from an 8-year-old point of view. It could be fun!’  

She added:

‘I rather think we who have been writing a while have developed a kind of rhino hide. And have forgotten how very hard it is to be in the early days, feeling so vulnerable at sharing your work.  You and Donna are so brave.’

Pamela’s words were the stimulus I needed. ‘I’m not scared of these authors,’ I told myself.

I sent a text asking a question about a suitable thesaurus and ‘Point of View’.

Dear Mazzy, who was on Day 1, Post Surgery, responded from her hospital bed with very encouraging words, and personal exhortation.  

In tears, before tackling the re-working of my koala story, I wrote:

Those Omega writers in Toowoomba … giving us a critique of our work, and then having the audacity /courage to check up on me to see if I have rewritten it. 

Maybe, the Holy Spirit is giving me a gift revealing to me that, ‘Yes, I can write’, but also saying, ‘You can improve, and [those] girls are here to help you.  You go girl!’

Maybe, God is saying [to me and all of us who write], ‘Release your uncomfortable, uneasy thoughts to Me, for I am a God full of compassion and love.  Yes, you are overwhelmed and refuse to write, but hey, people say, “you have a gift”, so keep writing.

Thanks, Omega Writers from Toowoomba.  You are the best!


Barabara McKay is a new student to the classroom of writing (year 6, that is 😉) and determined to leave a written legacy of her life for her family and the generations to come. A minister's wife for forty-one years, she now resides in the peaceful town of Crows Nest, Queensland, writing adventures of the highs and lows of her life and God's faithfulness in every circumstance.

7 comments:

  1. "I head-butted my fears." I love it. Nothing wrong with that piece of writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son trained as a boxer!

      Delete
  2. Woohoo! Go, Barbara! How exciting to see you silence those pesky doubts with your words; they are a great encouragement to every writer. Your humble honesty inspires me afresh. And I agree with the previous comment ... "Nothing wrong with that piece of writing!"

    I don't think any writer who's passionate about their message and craft ever feels like they've 'arrived'. From time to time, we all need to
    - shrug off the sulks (that cause us to curl up under our favourite pity-party leaf like frightened caterpillars)
    - squeeze out the silk (to construct a courageous cocoon that's sturdy and roomy enough to allow for our transformational growth)
    - sort out our style (our unique, individual expression of the Master Designer's plan and divine calling). Then, when the time is right, we, and our words, will emerge and
    - sail towards the sun, on the wings of the Spirit, with all the beauty, power, and impact he, and we, desire.

    So, Barbara, please keep on spinning yarns and weaving words and fine-tuning your style, because you have stories and encouragements stored up in your heart and soul that need to be released and read and heard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mazzy, you make me smile with those glitzy metaphors ( but not in a superficial way). I keep thinking about that orbed spider spinning in the dark last night. I ask ‘what metaphors could I discover from that experience especially if I didn’t see him? Thank you for your kind words. Love B.

      Delete
  3. It's great to see you so keen to learn, Barbara. Just remember that all writers get feedback, even best-selling authors with dozens of books under their belts. It's what you do with the feedback that's important. I read a book years ago that said God wants FAT Christians (i.e., faithful, available, and teachable). None of us have got it all together, but we can certainly learn together. Good on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nola for your teaching. I am privileged and grateful for your words. I’ll continue to smile in being FAT! 💪🙏😀 ❤️ B.

      Delete
  4. Brilliant blog, Barbara. Look forward to seeing many more! From your year 6 teacher 😜

    ReplyDelete