Thursday 23 March 2023

The Next 5000 Years!

 by Anusha Atukorala




I love visiting my local library. I return home bringing bulging bagfuls of brilliant beautiful bountiful books! On a recent visit to the library, I found a novel based on a writer’s retreat. Four strangers turned up at a resort, set in a beautiful location. Each attendee had their own room with all their meals provided. The writing instructor who was staying in a cottage next door, turned up each morning to give them several hours of her time and to set writing tasks for them. 



One young woman who turned up at the retreat put me off completely. She was egocentric. She was loud. She was self-obsessed. But then … as I read the back story of her life, I discovered that she’d grown up in a dysfunctional home, and had not received much nurturing. No wonder this seemingly obnoxious young woman behaved as she did! My thoughts about her flipped a 180 degrees! I felt sad realising how hard her life had been! I even started to like her and wanted her to do well. I loved how the author showed us that there are reasons why people act in difficult or surprising ways.

 

And that’s what we writers are called to do, isn’t it? We tell the world what really goes on. What motivations drive people. How complex our world is. That we can’t judge others on their exterior alone without getting to know their life story. Reading fiction is known to help people learn social skills and empathy and I can understand why. Getting into our characters heads and hearts is always good for us, isn’t it – not only as writers but also as readers?

 


We Christian writers do many different things. We might expose our readers’ minds to life, truth and the meaning of the universe! We may educate, challenge and inspire. We sometimes teach and instruct. We brighten our readers’ dark times with hope. We entertain. Make readers smile. Drop lightness into their being. We remind them that things are not always what they seem. 


We show them the ugly parts of our world and tell it like it is. We display the need for justice in a fallen world. We even have the joy of giving a glimpse of spiritual truth. A Christ-centered worldview. We open our readers’ minds to the reality of the kingdom of God and to the Light of the world. Jesus.

 



What kind of impact would you like your books would make? Back in 2007, God called me to write for Him. He asked me to comfort those going through tough seasons so they could learn to dance in the rain. It thrilled my heart to do just that and to point them to Jesus. 

But recently … while listening to a podcast, a comment that the speaker (Dallas Willard) made, was a torch, shining a new beam of understanding into my calling. Dallas asked us what we wanted to do 500 years from now in heaven as we reign with Jesus. 5000 years from now. 10,000 years from now! Now, there’s a challenge! And here I was, unable to think beyond the next 6 months! Wow!


I realised with a start that because life in heaven is perfect, there would be no need for me to comfort and strengthen others through my writing in that celestial city. LIFE after life will be all beauty and light and joy. 


No more stormy weather! (Isn’t that wonderful?)


And so from 2023, I’ve thought beyond my earthly existence to what I’d love to keep doing in eternity. I might as well practice now, don’t you think? So my writing has expanded. Not only to encourage people going through tough times but also to write about living life well as we frolic in the sunshine ... the sunshine of the kingdom of God.

 

It was deeply encouraging that the first two blogs I wrote for the year in this new vein, had plenty of reader engagement. It was God’s endorsement to me that I am on the right track. Thank You God! And … what about you, dear friend? What burning issues has God placed on your heart to share with His world? Not just for the present but for heaven and the new heavens and the new earth? What would you like to do in eternity? In the next 500 years? The next 5000?

 

As believers, we prepare for eternity by living our lives the way Jesus called us to – seeking first His kingdom and His righteousness. Becoming more like Jesus. But then … as Christian writers too, we need to prepare for eternity so we can make the cosmos to ring with glory to our amazing Saviour! And learn from Him how best we can reign with God in His kingdom forever and ever!

 


What do YOU think?

 

“And they sang a new song, saying: “You are worthy to take the

 scroll and to open its seals, because you were slain, and with

 your blood you purchased for God, persons from every tribe

 and language and people and nation.

 

You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our

God, and they will reign on the earth.” Rev 5:9-10

 



Anusha’s been on many interesting detours in life, as a lab technician, a computer programmer, a full time Mum, a full time volunteer, a charity director, a full time job chaser, until one golden day (or was it a dark moonless night?) God tapped her on her shoulder and called her to write for Him. She has never recovered from the joy it brought her. She loves to see others enjoying life with Jesus and does her mite to hurry the process in her world through her writing and through her life. The goodness of God is her theme song through each season, as she dances in the rain with Jesus.

 

Her first book Enjoying the Journey contains 75 little God stories that will bring you closer to your Creator. Her 2nd book ‘Dancing in the Rain’ brings you hope and comfort for life’s soggy seasons. Her 3rd book, ‘Sharing the Journey’ is a sequel to 'Enjoying the Journey'.

 


Do drop in on her two websites to say G’day! She’d love to connect with you.

Dancing in the Rain - https://anusha-atukorala.webnode.com/

Light in the Darkness- https://light-in-the-darkness00.webnode.com/

 



6 comments:

  1. Wow, this is seriously thought-provoking. I have occasionally wondered whether there will be artistic expression in eternity. And if so, what will fiction writing be like? If we live in a reality without conflict, will we want to read about conflict (which is required for drama)? I'm actually reading a book by Randy Alcorn about heaven right now, so it'll be interesting to explore these kinds of questions as I go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad it resonated with you, Adam. Thank you so much for commenting. Of course there will be lots of artistic expression in eternity - I believe that with all my heart. 😊 I did wonder what others would think so I am very glad you surmised about it too.

      Interesting concept as to whether people would want to read about conflict in a world where there is no conflict! Hmmm! Good point. I too read the book on heaven by Randy Alcorn and have read so many NDE's that I am really excited about life in eternity. Thanks so much for taking the time to read and respond, Adam. And looking forward to reading your writing in heaven! 😊

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing that, Anusha. I've never really thought of that before. I always imagined I'd be in the worship section, but then maybe that's all of heaven. We'll still be serving and worshipping God in heaven, but I must admit it's hard for me to visualise what that will be like, except that it won't be anything like our idea of work on earth. Interesting to contemplate, and a good reminder to have a heavenly perspective even while here on earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading and responding, Nola. I believe we will be worshipping big time in heaven (how could we not, with God present! You are so right about that!) but we will also do other things. I believe God's plan was to create a community of loving people who would reign over the new heavens and the new earth. That's what scripture says. So I'm sure we will be also busy doing a lot of creating and other wonderful things. Can't wait! 😊

      I've read a lot of accounts of Near Death Experiences and the joys of what is to come has been indescribable! I hope God will let me fly around the cosmos too - painting the skies and flying with the eagles! Looking forward to spending time with you in heaven my friend and enjoying more of your fabulous creativity! ☺️

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing, Ansuha. I think that is what I loved about the Narnia series - it didn't shy away from the conflicts and pain of living this side of eternity, it showed a way forward in faith, and it also portrayed the joy of what is to come - further up and further in the love of God..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond dear Jenny. I fully agree about the Narnia series. Yes, it portrayed both life on earth in realistic terms but also showed us glimpses of the joys to come. What a lot we have to look forward to!

      Here's what CS Lewis said so beautifully: "“And as He spoke, He no longer looked to them like a lion; but the things that began to happen after that were so great and beautiful that I cannot write them. And for us this the end of all the stories, and we can most truly say that they all lived happily ever after.

      But for them it was only the beginning of the real story. All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on earth has read: which goes on for ever: in which every chapter is better than the one before.”

      Delete