Thursday 4 November 2021

Mentors, Godparents and the Writing Thing.

 ‘Me? She really asked if I would consider being her mentor?’


I was flabbergasted. Me. A mentor? I don’t know anything. I’m barely able to work through my own issues in life and someone wanted me to be their mentor? And what was a mentor supposed to do?

Would you believe me if I said I looked up the definition?


A wise and trusted counsellor or teacher. [Pft! Wise? I’ll probably have to look that up in the dictionary too, but I know I’m neither old enough or experienced enough to be wise.]


An influential senior sponsor or supporter. [Ha! I should never be left unsupervised, let-alone influence anyone.]


I checked the thesaurus, maybe there was a better fit than mentor — adviser, coach, guide, instructor, trainer, tutor, counsellor … maybe not.


Photo by Alexis Brown on Unsplash

Lisa Bevere released a new book in late 2020 called, Godmothers — Why You Need One. How to Be One. For some reason I remembered this book after my friend and I had this bizarre conversation about mentoring and thought I would check it out. I mean, I have a young niece / goddaughter who lives interstate and I sadly don’t have much contact with her (purely my fault - life and all that) and isn’t mentoring kind of like being a godparent or part thereof?


Someone to whisper a blessing and a word of courage over your life. Someone to help you close your gaps. A guide who sees your potential waiting to be recognised, your challenges in need of transformation, and your questions requiring honest answers.

— Lisa Bevere


Looking back on accepting the opportunity to write blogposts on this website full of far more experienced, wise and knowledgeable writers than I, I remember feeling the exact same way as I did about the possibility of mentoring someone. 


Me? Write a post, on writing, for Christian writers … who would read it? I had nothing to say. My ‘so-called’ voice was still being developed. I didn’t have a published book, or short story, or poem or article or any other form of writing document. I did however have a very poor, first draft of a novel, a small group of friends who knew I liked to write and an open opportunity to have a go. Was it the right thing to do? I didn’t think so at the time. Was it the right thing for me? Well, let’s just say, that same very poor draft which has been edited here and there over the years (and has miles to go—according to me) was my submission to the Caleb Awards last year. I was one of the finalists in my category.

 

When we’re afraid of succeeding at the wrong thing, we run the risk of doing nothing. 
— Lisa Bevere.


Those of you who linked in to the Omega Writers Online Retreat last month would have heard Edie Melson speak on Soul Care for Writers. One of my take-aways from her session seems quite small and ironically and hilariously something you’d think a writer, any writer would be already doing. Writing. But not just writing all the stories we have bunched up in our heads, writing down our hopes and fears. Writing though the doubts that constantly hammer each of us everyday. Writing out the logical-sounding ‘why I can’ts' and working through these oppositions with the one thing we like doing the most.


The importance of an idea, dream, or hope can be measured by the opposition you experience when you dare to embrace it. 
Lisa Bevere.


Photo by Brooke Cagle on Unsplash

I know from experience (I can say that now), you don’t need to be the best writer, you don’t need to have something published, you don’t need to feel wise or knowledgeable for that matter. Everyone (yes, I’m talking to you) regardless of what path you’re going through in your journey with Christ, you have something to contribute to this writing community. Be bold. Be brave, or don’t be, but put yourself out there anyway.


Words, whether written or spoken, have the power to highlight our paths. 
Lisa Bevere.


If you think you might want to try your hand at writing a post for Christian Writers Downunder and have been a contributing member to our Facebook page and/or engaged via comments in these posts; and been apart of this group for more than 6 months, let us know. We’re looking for some new blood, a few new voices to help bring fresh ideas, encouragement and blessings on this wonderful writing community we have. You can contact us through our Facebook Page, comment below or email us at CWDBloggers@gmail.com.







K. A. Hart is a born and bred Territorian currently living in Toowoomba. She is a part of the infamous, collective known as Quirky Quills and has had two short stories published in anthologies. Her writings pursue the conviction that through trials and suffering, one can build strength of character.





3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Kristen, for all your excellent thoughts here. And I love Lisa Bevere's definition of a mentor that you have quoted at the beginning. That's exactly who my lovely mentor Joy was for me and I so valued our times together. I have a bit more about mentoring and what it is or isn't on my website, www.jo-anneberthelsen.com, if you're interested. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kirsten, thank you for your encouraging words today. Just what I needed to hear this morning. Writing can be a lonely business, and I was feeling like an imposter as I sat at my computer contemplating what 'writing thing' to focus on today. Having a mentor or friend who 'sees' us is such a gift. One that seems to have been recognized in you by those around you. And now by humble me, over the online ether. Blessings as you go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was blessed to be invited to be a godmother (or Ninang - as the baby was born to Filipino parents in Australia). This was almost 22years ago. I have tried to take this privilege seriously and take every opportunity to encourage my kinogus (godson), even though he is now just short of 22 years old. I was again asked to be Ninang to a little girl in the Philippines in 2007. She is the daughter of a pastor and his wife who minister in a church we support in the Philippines. Although at a distance, I take this responsibility seriously. She is my kinagus - Goddaughter. She is now 14 years old but I do what I can to encourage and bless her. We sponsor her in her education and see her when we are able to visit. We include them in our care like we do our grandchildren. It is a blessed responsibility and privilege.

    ReplyDelete