Wednesday 14 December 2022

Confessions of a lapsed writer by Jo Wanmer

God delights in your obedience to write. Not your skill or your great mastery of words. He is known for using the ‘have nots’ to shame the wise. Just be obedient. Trust God for the rest.

 

Last week I participated in ‘Unlock Your Book’, an online teaching offered to Christian writers. The speakers included Brian Simmonds, Patricia King and Katherine Rounala.

I watched it live on Zoom, two hours a day for three days. The above statement summarizes the most encouraging content for me.

 

Brian Simmons is one of my heroes. I was privileged to have lunch with him about 8 years ago. Such a humble, unassuming lover of God. That day he told me he writes/translates 6 hours, every day, without fail. If he has flown all night, he still writes. Always writes, every day. 


I remembered that fact with awe, but confess I didn’t act on his incredible example. Hence my writing has waned over the years. His main exhortation in this seminar was to write every day. Even if it is only in your journal, or part of a blog, or even a post, but write every day…no excuses. 

 

I’ve developed excuses for not writing to an art! I have books I know should be finished and yet the excuses mount. At the beginning of the workshop, Brian put his finger on my problem. No, it’s not busyness or laziness, or sickness or family or the weather ….need I go on? No, the root of my problem is fear. Fear intimidates me, gaslights me even. It makes me feel like a grasshopper, when, in truth, I’m an unstoppable, unbeatable son of God. 

This week I realise I’ve swallowed this lie. The fear of getting published or self publishing makes me feel the writing effort is a waste. Fear of never being good enough. Fear of how the readers will react to some of my scenes and themes. Fears that I’ve allowed to paralyse me.

 

How do I deal with this fear? Awareness and confession is a good start. An understanding that False Expectations APPEAR Real…but they are NOT real. As Katherine Raunalo put it. ‘Get over yourself! Stop worrying what people will think. Do the work and the promotion and get it out there.’ I guess that is another way of saying ‘Die to self and be obedient to Him.’

 

This workshop taught me that all good writing comes out of the secret place, out of time with God. I have known this deep down, but now I must rely on this, not look to my own limited ability. All inspiration comes from the Father, the original creator. I must value, record, treasure every bit of wisdom and understanding that comes to me. Record every idea and value every dream.

 

Our greatest need, as writers, is for inspiration and creativity. Ask Father for these essentials every day. He promises them. (Pray from Ephesians 1:15ff). 

Fight 'Overwhelm'. It is a giant that blocks our ability to hear. We need positive voices that help us pull down that monster. Psalms are a great help, but also friends and colleagues. Encouragement from others frees us to flow in creativity. Our writers' groups, gatherings, and community pages are important here. As Paul says we must to spur each other on.

 

Patricia King emphasised the importance of body ministry in bringing forth a book. It needs more than just the fingers that write. A good book needs an editor, a designer, beta readers, proof readers and the list goes on. I’ve asked for help in all these areas, but had never before seen the process as the body of Christ working together.

 

There was so much spiritual richness in this workshop but I’ll close these brief snippets with this list. I hope it is helpful to you. 


Brian’s 7 Keys to Overcome Writer’s Block.

1.     Enhance your work space. Change place or outlook. Add a plant or picture.

2.     The most productive working time is 25 minutes. Set an alarm. Move, breathe.

3.     WRITE EVERY DAY

4.     Take short breaks with physical activity

5.     Understand it is okay to be flawed. There is no such thing as a perfect author, book or review

6.     READ, READ, READ for inspiration and learning. We can’t be a writers unless we are also readers.

7.     Don’t call any problem writer’s block. Don’t believe it exists. Resist it. Brian says that a blockage usually is exposing a discipline problem.



    Jo Wanmer is a Brisbane writer as well as a pastor, speaker, wife and business partner. However her greatest joy is the privilege of being a great-grandmother. It is ten years since Though the Bud be Bruised was published. Other books are in the pipeline. 






 

4 comments:

  1. Well, I've just 'enhanced my workspace' by reorganising cupboards and rearranging and tidying desks and shelves that I'd left burdened with the overflow of a chaotic end-of-term tutoring season combined with the happy, if messy, fall-out of actually publishing a book. Does that count?

    The Holy Spirit has been constantly challenging me over the last year as per your quote, 'Do the work and get out there', with the 'get out there' being the hardest part of the equation - and my weakness - especially with the pain and mobility issues I've had while I wait for hip replacement surgery. So, imagine my joy and delight when God recently took the matter of getting me 'out there' into His own hands, with an invitation to travel to Canberra for a garden party book launch event there.

    So, for the last few weeks, I've been travelling on 'author' business, combining research into possible setting options (and inspiration) for the sequel to 'Licence to Die' with the launch event and a visit to the National Library of Australia where I was able to deposit a print copy of my novel in person - an unexpected high point which incentivises my desire to press on with the call to write and publish. On the return journey, I was interviewed by the delightful Helen Wakefield for her Faith, Family, Freedom podcast, again another opportunity to share about the amazing enabling power of God. In all these things, I felt blessed because God chose to step in and support me in my weakness.

    Nevertheless, having enjoyed the break from the constant call of the computer day in, day out, I confess a reluctance to dive in again too quickly! So, when the beckoning of the 'to do' list again becomes insistent, I will remember your words of encouragement here, Jo, because my enthusiasm levels still require a top up at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when Brian came to church which was an honour and so inspiring to be able to hear him in person. His work in my life was a tool God used to bring healing in my life, but not as much as you Jo Wanmer.

    Again, as I read your blog, the message I hear from you is always to go to God, to be healed, inspired, filled with creativity and love and be given direction, forgiveness, grace and mercy.

    Your love has changed my life and your words written and spoken drip with wisdom to feed my soul.

    Keep writing, keep loving and keep close to God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely comment. Thank you. Can you please DM meand identify yourself. Thank you so much.

      Delete
  3. Thank you Jo for passing on those wonderful tips to keep writing from Brian Simmons. I love his books ' I hear his whisper'. I use them for journalling.
    I need the discipline of writing every day. I find I write better when outside of the home. A cafe or library where I can't see the dish pile and the reminder that the washing needs to be hung. A place where I feel relaxed and creative. And if I want a cup of coffee I can just order it and keep writing! I pray that God gives us Grace in the New Year ahead to tackle those works that have lain dormant and produce some amazing writing!

    ReplyDelete