Monday 26 September 2022

Commitment by Marion Kilchester

King Charles III summed up his mother’s (Queen Elizabeth II ) life as ‘A life well lived; a promise of destiny kept.’ His nine-word description can be further summarised by one word – Commitment.





Commitment is such a big word. It is a weighty word.


     I am writing this blog primarily to myself, although I believe many of you can also relate to my blog in some capacity as you review your own lives.


     I had committed to write regularly and be part of the CWD blog roster. I wrote the first blog for the 8th of August, two days after my 75th birthday. Then, over the following weeks, I allowed self-doubt to come in with thoughts such as ‘You are not good enough’, everyone else on the roster has far more experience than me’. They were enough to de-rail me and I decided I would not write a blog again.


     Then the Queen died, and the TV channels were awash with commentary on her life. She

was only twenty-six when, on the death of her father, she became Queen. She could easily have had thoughts like mine, but she stepped into her role, resolutely dedicating her life to the service of her family, country, and the commonwealth.


     What is commitment? – It is an agreement or pledge to do something in the future.


     Who is a committed person? – It is someone who regularly keeps their commitments to whatever he or she has signed up to do.


     There are three components of a commitment.

  1. Stated intention/s
  2. A time and a date
  3. Action.

These three components combined constitute commitment.


I admire people who are willing to step out of the boat and take a risk, to think outside of the box in order to fulfil a dream. To do that always requires commitment.


My favourite TV programme is ‘Escape to Le Chateau’. Angel and Dick Strawbridge packed up their comfortable and secure life in London, and with their two tiny children, moved to a derelict, forty-five room chateau, without electricity, heating or sewerage and set about the task of restoring the building and establishing a viable living for themselves and their family. It was a mammoth risk, and a massive undertaking, requiring enduring commitment. But they did it. They turned their dream into reality.


ROADBLOCKS TO COMMITMENT

  1. Life’s Pressures and Busyness.

I wrote my second book this year, in the midst of ill health, family crises and grief. I wrote my goal into my diary and drew up a roster setting time aside to write. Once I did this, it was easier to keep on task. Despite those roadblocks, I kept writing. It kept me going and helped me to maintain my sanity.


     So why did I baulk on writing a blog?


  1. Fear of Failure, Ridicule or Some Other Negative.


For me, it was because of my being insecure in my own abilities and the false belief that I have nothing to give.


  1. Lack in an Area, such as Time, Freedom from Pain, Technology Skills.

(a) Time.  Set a place and time – Be intentional. As I did this, I began to look forward to these times of research and writing, and as the word count grew-10,000, 20,000, 30,000 40,000 – my commitment to the task was paying off for me.

 

(b) Pain or Ill health. This is a tough one, but maybe just the action of putting pen to paper may well be a panacea, a distraction to the pain or grief. It was for me.

 

(c) Technology. This was and still is to a lesser degree, a large hurdle for me. I needed to seek help, to learn, and to delegate what I couldn’t do. The wonderful people who helped me, and still do, are amazing.  I am so grateful for their willingness to help, for their patience, and their skills and knowledge. I had to learn that I was not an island, isolated and alone. These helpers have enriched my life and enabled me to enlarge myself and my world where and when it was needed.



REWARDS OF COMMITMENT


  1. Knowing that you have kept your word and done your best.
  2. Leaving a legacy.
  3. Setting an example. 
  4. No Regrets.
  5. To hear from our God, ‘Well done, my good and faithful servant.’
  6. And for us writers, to see our writing in print- tangible, touchable and hopefully reaching their target.


So, I encourage you, my fellow writers, to join me in making good commitments and to follow them through. God Bless, Marion.





Marion Kilchester is a mum and grandmother. At 75 she loves spending time with her family and friends and her little dog, Hope. 


Having taught classroom music and piano, now in her retirement, she published her first book, Though the Storms Rage Yet Will I Dance in 2021. Marion has just completed her second book, a biography about her mother-in-law, Ludmila, who grew up and survived in The Ukraine under the rule of Stalin, before finding herself transported in a ‘cattle-train’ to a forced-labour camp in Germany, under the rule of Hittler. At the end of the war, Ludmila made another epic journey, this time by boat, to Australia where she made a new life for herself and her family.


     

Marion’s books are about hope, positivity, and resilience in the face of huge obstacles.


Her website is leavesofhope.com.au


2 comments:

  1. Marion, your encouragement today is absolutely on point! The challenges of commitment are real but the rewards are amazing.

    I smiled at your Chateau show reference - I remember watching several episodes, including the panic stations at getting enough done in time for their first scheduled wedding event, the stresses over the lift installation etc.

    One cannot help but admire Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, the sovereign who epitomised dedication and commitment for all of my life; I mourn her loss. I am thankful for others, yourself included, who dare to hold faith and hold fast to the ethics of commitment.

    Where oh where would we be if our precious Lord Jesus had not followed through on His commitment to seek and save the lost ... to save us? But He did! Praise His glorious Name. He not only strengthens us from day to day, enabling us to fulfil those tasks He has appointed for us to do, He faithfully makes a way for us through the challenges that threaten to derail our best intentions.

    Thanks so much for pressing through. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Committing oneself to another person and/or to accomplish a goal, large or small, is making a promise to keep to it, and not quit or renege when things get difficult or inconvenient.You have given us some great tips and encouragement in this article, thank you and God bless.

    ReplyDelete