Thursday 16 June 2022

The Value of Unpublished Words

 



  • A traditionally published book = Value
  • A quality self-published book = Value
  • A homemade photocopied booklet = ?

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about the value we place on various types of writing. As writers, we want to find an audience for our work. In my role as an editor, however, I’ve often had to tell authors that their manuscript needs more work if they want it to be published. Sometimes a LOT of work. Many take feedback on board and polish up their drafts, but I know there are others who’ve felt discouraged and maybe even doubted whether they’re meant to be writers. This is never my intention, as I always try to be encouraging, but I have no control over how people will respond to my comments.

I think one of the problems is that we tend to equate value with publication, but they’re really two separate things. If we want to be traditionally published or produce a quality self-published book, there might be certain things we need to do (e.g., adhere to spelling and grammar conventions, use creative writing techniques, have the work thoroughly edited, ensure that the cover and overall book design are pleasing). However, our work can still be of value even if none of those things happen. Here are some examples.


Journaling

You might record your thoughts in a journal or write a blog as a regular practice or at special times (e.g., during a trip). Or you may keep a diary on a particular theme (e.g., a gratitude journal or a prayer journal). You might later use some of this information as the basis for a book. However, even if you don’t do anything specific with it, the practice itself is still valuable. It helps you to recall events such as answered prayers. It hones your powers of observation and reflection. Even the process of writing can be beneficial in helping you to work through issues, including mental health concerns. Click here for some more information on the benefits of journaling for mental health. Whether anyone else ever reads what you’ve written, journaling is valuable.

Letters

Back in the Dark Ages when I was at school, I had a lot of overseas pen pals. I also collected stamps, so I loved opening the letter box and finding letters from India, Sweden, Germany, England, Austria and more. With the advent of email, text messaging and social media, we've largely lost the art of letter writing. Even sending Christmas cards is becoming less common. After all, if you've been in touch with someone on Facebook all year, what's the point of sending them a card and Christmas letter? 


While the speed and ease of modern communication certainly has its advantages, there's still something special about receiving an actual letter from someone. They're ideal for those who aren't on social media, such as older folk in aged care homes who might not have a mobile phone or computer. They're more permanent than emails. You can keep them and read them over and over. 

Remember that most of the New Testament, including Luke and Acts, are letters to various individuals or churches. We're still reading them 2000 years later.

Postage can be an issue. I'm old enough to remember when you could post a letter within Australia for 7c and overseas for less than $1.00. Now it's $1.10 for a small local letter and between $2.50 and $3.75 for a small overseas letter. Phew! I guess I won't be sending out 100 Christmas cards anymore. However, think about who might be blessed by receiving an actual letter and who might like a longer email occasionally. You can't underestimate the power of an encouraging word. Your words are of value.


Writing Prompts and Exercises

We’ve all probably come across blogs, books or classes that have included writing prompts or exercises. But is there any point to these if we’re just writing bits and pieces that aren’t for publication? Absolutely! They help us to hone our craft and get the creative juices going. The process of creating in itself can be good for us. I’ve sometimes written a funny piece just for fun and it’s really lifted my spirits. I’ve also ended up with some publications from snippets that started out as writing exercises, though that shouldn’t be the main aim. Art for art’s sake is still of value.


Zines

A zine is a small homemade booklet that is usually photocopied and distributed free of charge. There’s no ‘right’ way to make a zine. Some zines are produced using computer software, but they can also be handwritten, cut and pasted from other material or a combination of both. Some zines are like newsletters (e.g., they might advertise what’s happening in the local community), while others contain poetry, art, comics, short stories, true stories, opinions, reviews, calls to action, how-to information. There’s really no limit.

 My local book shop (Jeremy’s Book Exchange) has just started a zine library and I felt inspired to have a go at making a little mini zine for fun. Click here to see Austin Kleon’s two-minute video on how to make a little zine from a single sheet of paper.

I used some blackout poetry for this zine, which involves finding some text from newspapers, books or magazines, choosing some words that would make a new poem and then blacking out the rest. Here’s a photo of the finished product.

You can put anything in a zine. You could use it to try out some ideas, to bless other people, to get across some information. Whether it’s just for you, for the members of your family, or for a wider audience, it’s of value.

 

Intrinsic Value

I’ve only just scratched the surface here and could have easily written longer blogs on each of those topics, but hopefully that’s whetted your appetite for more. Don’t equate your worth or the value of your writing with society’s idea of what’s valid. You are made in the image of God and are of unimaginable value to him. He has also imbued you with interests, desires and gifts to help you and others. Whether published or not, your work has immense value.

 

Have you got some other examples of unpublished work that’s helped you? I’d love to hear your stories.


Author Bio



Nola Lorraine (aka Nola Passmore) is a writer and editor who has had more than 150 short pieces published in a variety of genres including fiction, non-fiction, poetry, true stories, memoir, devotions, magazine articles and academic articles. Her debut novel 'Scattered' was published by Breath of Fresh Air Press in 2020. She would love to connect with you through her website: www.nolalorraine.com.au




Picture Sources

Featured photo by hobin on Pixabay.

Journal writing photo by kaboompics on Pixabay.


Zine photo by author.

Author photo by Wayne Logan at WRLPhoto.











9 comments:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly with all you have written, Nola. When our children were little, we lived in South Australia, far away from relatives in Queensland. There were no computers then and we didn't even have a phone in our home--and certainly no mobiles! So, each week, my mother expected a very long letter from me and I spent many nights after the children were in bed writing to her and to my sister and other family members. I still maintain all those thousands of words helped me become the writer I am today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that, Jo. I'm sure all those words would have indeed helped, and would have honed your powers of description as well as blessing your family members. Back in the mid 90s, I spent time in Canberra, Melbourne and overseas doing courses with YWAM. I was gone for 15 months altogether, and I really craved those letters. It's a shame some of the art of letter writing has been lost. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. Hi Nola, this is all so true and I'm glad you've written about it. I'm certain my unpublished body of work over the years far exceeds my published body of work, and I'm sure many others will say the same. I do wish good things in the snail mail were as plentiful as in our schooldays. And I look forward to seeing and hearing more about your zines, as they've inspired my curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that, Paula. I'm going to write a longer post on zines soon, so stay tuned! Could any of your unpublished work be made into little zines or booklets? I'm sure there'd be lots of valuable things in there to bless people. It's good to remember that not everything has to be a full-length novel. Short stories, poems, devotions etc are great fodder for little homemade booklets. Plus, it's fun. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  3. 'I’ve sometimes written a funny piece just for fun and it’s really lifted my spirits.' Nola, is this a bit like laughing at your own jokes, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Ray. It could be laughing at your own jokes. I made a mini zine last week with a few jokes and funny verses. I tried the jokes out on Tim first to see how high they went on the groan-o-meter. Maybe you could make some little zines for your grandchildren. In the blog, I gave a link to Austin Kleon's site. He makes little mini zines that he puts in his son's lunchbox. If you write something funny, it lifts your spirits but could also bring a smile to someone else (or a good-natured groan). Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  4. I love the idea of Zines. Thanks for an inspirational post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, I think zines would be right up your alley, especially if you combine them with art. You could make little mini zines based on your characters or new from Nardva. Your fans at ComicCon might enjoy them. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
    2. You could be right. I'll have to pick your brains for how to go about it :)

      Delete