Thursday 31 March 2022

The One who makes the Difference!

 by Anusha Atukorala


I was enjoying an evening walk. Birds twittered as they flew home to their nests. A soft breeze stirred, chasing my cares away, like a toddler scattering a flock of pigeons as he runs towards them in glee. Trees danced to the tune of the breeze, waving their green branches with abandon. I looked up. There in the twilight skies wafted a large cloud, dressed in pretty Pink and announcing itself to the world. It pointed to its Creator and transformed my evening into a magical one. A few soft white clouds raced along to join their colour-splashed friend, but they weren’t a patch on that Perfect Pink Preamble!

 

I soon realised that this striking cloud made a difference. Wherever I went, the evening began to sparkle–all because of that Pretty Pink Parade. The horizon was laced with it. Gum trees grew tall in its presence. Our world was ablaze with colour because of its smiles. It was a reminder then, that just like this PPP, there is a Divine PPP who can turn an ordinary day into a special one and transform an unyielding moment into a joyful one. And of course, as a Christian writer, all that I create does need a PPP so that my writing bears fruit.

 


I’m not talking of a Perfect Pink Panorama this time.

What I point to instead is A Powerful Precious Presence.

 

God! Our Almighty God … the Author of our stories.

Jesus, the Creator of everything, past, present and future.

The Holy Spirit who writes our stories with us.

 

Yes, it’s He who does it all. He who directs. He who knows what He plans to do with our writing. It is He who reaches the world through our words. All that we write turns salty only when the Salt-Shaker is present. Words we write can reach hearts, only when the Heart-Warmer is at work. Words in books are brought to life in readers through the Author of Life!

 


There are seasons and seasons in a writer’s life, aren’t there? Some seasons are rich and fulfilling. Others are humdrum. Some are downright discouraging. I remember how hard it was to keep going when I was hunting for a publisher for my second book. I had rejections galore, and hope slipped away, pearls on a broken necklace falling, leaving an empty string in my hand. God showed me through that experience that perseverance is part of a writer’s package. Nothing always comes easy. It also meant that when the miracle happened and I did find a publisher, I knew it was not through my own cleverness or expertise or good fortune that I found one but that our Heavenly PPP - that Precious Powerful Presence was at work again.


I believe God allows dry times, hard times, unfruitful times to meander into our writing lives because it’s one way of letting us know who our Boss is. How’s your writing life these days? If it is productive, I’d like to shake your hand. Good job, friend! Well done! If it could be better, I still say Well done! I know you will make it. Keep it up, dear Writer! But if it is downright discouraging, I’d love to remind you of that PPP. That Perfect Pink Panorama. Or rather that Precious Powerful Presence! Don’t forget that He goes before You. He will do all He promised. It is all His work. Dry times are seasons when He is preparing the ground (and us) for more fruitfulness.

 


A couple of years ago, I was surprised when I heard from an unknown man whom I will call Paul. Paul wrote that he noticed I wasn’t blogging any more. He encouraged me to keep stirring up the gift that God had given me, letting me know my writing had impacted his life. I was so encouraged. Paul didn’t know it – but I had been blogging – using a new website, so I sent him the link. Recently, Paul wrote again, asking to buy all three of my books. Think Happy Surprise on this little writers’ face. Think eyebrows raised. Think happy dance! It was astonishing that an unknown man wanted to buy my books. While I’d hoped that both men and woman would enjoy my writing, I wasn’t sure if men would. But here was proof that at least one man did! Hooray!

 

And then … I realise afresh that unless God speaks, my words are just squiggles on paper. Unless God chooses to use them, nothing I write would make any impact. It is He alone who can use a weak little vessel in order to communicate His truth to His world. It is not what I write that is as important as the leading of the Holy Spirit when I do. It is not my writing that reaches hearts but it is God who speaks through my words to touch and bless and build.

 


You and I are a paintbrush in the Hands of the Master Painter. An instrument in His Symphony Orchestra. Isn’t it a great gift that He calls us to be co-creators with Him? When we allow Him to lead us and use us, our writing will have eternal consequences. So let’s keep writing. It is His purpose that matters. His Voice that reaches hearts, that Precious, Powerful, Peace-filled, Perfect, Personable, Patient, Picturesque Presence who Permeates His world. 


He alone makes all the difference.

 


Let’s look to Him.

Let’s write with Him.

Let’s worship Him.




Anusha’s been on many interesting detours in life, as a lab technician, a computer programmer, a full time Mum, a full time volunteer, a charity director, a full time job chaser, until one golden day (or was it a dark moonless night?) God tapped her on her shoulder and called her to write for Him. She has never recovered from the joy it brought her. She loves to see others enjoying life with Jesus and does her mite to hurry the process in her world through her writing and through her life. The goodness of God is her theme song through each season, as she dances in the rain with Jesus.

 


Her first book Enjoying the Journey contains 75 little God stories that will bring you closer to your Creator. Her 2nd book Dancing in the Rain brings you hope and comfort for life’s soggy seasons. Her 3rd book, Sharing the Journey is a sequel to Enjoying the Journey.

 

Do stop by at her two websites to say G’day and to read her blogs.

Dancing in the Rain 

Light in theDarkness

 






3 comments:

  1. Beautiful message, Anusha. I love the beauty we see on clouds so often and in nature all around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to read and respond dear Heather. Yes, the heavens do declare His glory all the time! I too love looking up and being blessed by our Father's displays of beauty. So glad you liked my blog. Much blessing to you.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your encouraging message Anusha. I love the line "unless God speaks, my words are just squiggles on paper" - it reminds me of the scripture "unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labour in vain" (Psalm 127:1) This is my desire too, to write for Him and for Him to use my words. And I know that in order to do this I must listen for His voice so I don't get sidetracked. Sometimes it's hard work isn't it? - especially during those dry times - but so satisfying knowing He's in it. And fun!

    ReplyDelete