Thursday 13 January 2022

CWD Member Interview – Marion Kilchester

 


Most Thursdays this year we will be interviewing one of the members of Christian Writers Downunder – to find out a little bit more about them and their writing/editing goals.


Todays interview: Marion Kilchester


Question 1: Tells us three things about who you are and where you come from. 

Way back, my heritage includes a convict woman and a soldier from the second fleet. Never knowing my mother, I was blessed by several mothers. Growing up on a small mixed farm in Tamworth, N.S.W. I became a music / piano teacher/examiner/composer. Mostly I am a mum and grandma who loves to garden, travel and take photos.


Question 2: Tell us about your writing (or editing/illustrating etc).  What do you write and why?

I wrote my first book, Though the Storms Rage Yet Will I Dance, to give hope to people going through tough times. It is my story, a story of hope. My next book is about two strong women who survived great odds to succeed in their lives. I have also published two books of piano music and recorded them, Reflections Books 1 and 2.





Question 3: Who has read your work? Who would you like to read it? 

It has surprised me that a wide cross section- men, women, old, young, and in-between; across denominations and ethnic groups have read and gained from reading my book. I also have a webpage and blogs of encouragement, https://www.leavesofhope.com.au/p/welcome.html 


Question 4: Tell us something about your process. What challenges do you face? What helps you the most?

 I use pencil and paper, sitting at my dining-room table, looking out at my garden and birdbath. I write a section, then put it onto my laptop, where I refine it. Technology is my huge challenge.


Question 5: What is your favourite Writing Craft Book and why?

 My favourite writing craft book is a person, Nola Passmore who edited my first book. I wrote all, of her suggestions out and still use it as my check-sheet. I have also built a library of books on similar topics to my writing. 


Question 6: If you were to give a shout-out to a CWD author, writer, editor or illustrator – who would they be?

My favourite CWD people who have really encouraged me are Nola Passmore, Anusha, Mazzy and Ruth Bonnetti. Thank you to all of CWD for your deep insights and encouragement. 


Question 7: What are your writing goals for this year? How will you achieve them?

I have set a goal of 20 hours writing a week. I know that I won’t always achieve that but I figure it is better to aim high. I would like ti complete Ludmilla’s and Charity’s story this byear and keep up with my webpage/ blogs. Will be 75 this year but have just read a book by Eddie Jaku, written in his 100th year, so it is never too late.


Question 8: How does your faith impact and shape your writing?

Hugely. Everything I write is filled with hope. God is my strength, my motivation and my guide. I couldn’t do it without Him.



4 comments:

  1. Hi Marion - Thank you so much for the shoutout. It was a pleasure to work on your book. You had an inspiring story that I'm sure will bless a lot of people. Good luck with your writing goals for this year. And you're right. It's never too late. Billy Graham had several books published in his 90s. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marion, thank you for introducing yourself and telling some of your story.

    Nola is definitely a great person and a great resource.

    I’m sure you will keep writing until you’re 100!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marion, thank you for introducing yourself and telling some of your story.

    Nola is definitely a great person and a great resource.

    I’m sure you will keep writing until you’re 100!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marion, thank you for introducing yourself and telling some of your story.

    Nola is definitely a great person and a great resource.

    I’m sure you will keep writing until you’re 100!

    ReplyDelete