In
the beginning God created family. He created man and woman and he saw that it
was very good. God also noted it was not good for man to live alone and so he gave
Adam a mate.
Early members of Sunshine Coast Omega
Likewise
it is not good for a writer to be completely alone. I’ve heard many say that it’s a lonely experience being an author, and, yes, there is always a
lot of time when we pound the keys in our bubble. However, there is a
difference between being alone and being lonely. An author, needs
a community, people around that support and understand her.
![]() |
| Writers together celebrate the release of Symphony of Grace |
Jesus
spent time alone, but he also spent much time in community, where He modeled
different levels of relationship. He had three close friends, chose twelve disciples, and
related to many others in the crowds. When he needed company, it was always
available.
I
find my writing community invaluable so when writing I purposely involve other
people. I need people to bounce ideas off, to share wins and get feedback. Equally,
I watch for others to help, support, read and critique.
When
I write anything, my friend Sue wants to read every word. I email my books
chapter by chapter. She knows my characters and keeps me encouraged. The
wonderful thing about this arrangement is having someone I can discuss a
character’s dilemma or a plot difficulty. Sue isn’t an author but an
avid reader. She’s been an invaluable help to me as I
have written various novels and articles. She’s also edits the document at the
first level.
![]() |
| My little critique group. Jo, Miranda, Jeanette, Arlene. |
I am
part of a small critique
group of four writers. This blog will be emailed to
them today. Next week when we meet they
will edit it and critique it. They suggest changes and highlight obvious
mistakes. As I’m a master at mistakes this group saves
me from publishing bad writing. Each of us submits three pages each month and
we all comment on one another’s writing. Our writing has improved as we’ve
learned from each other.
Last
Saturday, our sunshine Coast Omega writers group met in my lounge
room. There were ten of us, investing our time to share each other’s knowledge and experience. It’s an incredibly
rich place to be as we talk about our wins in our losses. One person has created
a new app for the group to help with our editing. The members of this group are
quick to help each other with knowledge and assistance. Some of the members are
more experienced with many published books. Others have done a lot of study and
bring knowledge about writing craft. Others are only just beginning their
writing journey. Some understand technology and others struggle with it. It’s a fun, supportive group and its great to have people you can ring
and seek help.
![]() |
| Sunshine Coast chapter celebrates with Julie as she launches Oscar was Here |
And
of course, there is the online writing community. Facebook groups like Australasian
Christian Writers and Christian Writers Downunder feed encourage and teach me. Through
these sites and others, I have met so many interesting people, discovered their
writing and learned from their experience. Recently I sent El Gibbor, my
next book, to a few beta readers
requesting feedback before
publication. One of those readers was Paula Vince in Adelaide. Paula and I met
years ago at writers’ conferences. She published Picking up the Pieces the same
time I published Though the Bud be Bruised. Both books look at different
responses to sexual abuse. I knew she would be interested my latest book. She
very graciously sent me three pages of suggestions, sharing how I could improve
the book.
The
wider internet community is a great forum for questions. How do I self publish? Where is the best place to get this? What’s the best app for
that? So many questions mine the
combined knowledge of writers. This help is invaluable.
Part
of this community dynamic is our willingness to share our wisdom and time. Time
invested in helping others reaps much reward. We champion each other,
acknowledging wins and giving help when needed. Book launches are a great place
to support community and build it. Julie Modra, one of our members, launched
her book, Oscar was Here, at the Mad Hatter’s Bookshop last weekend. It
was a great occasion and an opportunity to mingle.
![]() |
| Julie Modra at Mad Hatter's Bookshop |
Wider
community again is the Omega Writer’s conference that brings people together
from Australia and New Zealand. Many of these occasions have equipped me with
new skills, corrected bad habits and warmed me with great fellowship. There are
many similar conferences from other Writers Centres, but I really enjoy the
Christian fellowship.
![]() |
| A team of contributers celebrating Mosaic of Grace. |
Anthologies
develop from community. Tabor College in Adelaide have printed one every year
for ten years. There are many books on my shelf where my writing is
published. Keep your eyes open. There
are lots of anthologies where your short works can be highlighted. I’m thankful
for the community that works together to produce top quality books.
How
do you find a group? I’d start on Facebook or similar sites. Join groups.
Become a member of Omega Writers. And ask the simple question… Does anyone live
near me? Join an online group like Grace Writers. Just hunt until you find your
family
And remember a Christian is never alone. We carry the Holy Spirit within and he’s a great source of creative ideas and fellowship.







0 comments:
Post a Comment