Thursday 8 August 2024

The power of our words

 by Jo-Anne Berthelsen

In my various occupations over the years, I have seen again and again the power our words can have. As a high school teacher way back, as an office secretary interacting with clients of our church’s family support program, then later as part of our church’s pastoral team, I experienced the extra impact my words could carry because of the power of my public position. Now as a writer and speaker and at a different stage in my life, I still see so often the effect the words I say and those I write can have.

Yet, whatever our occupation, our words have the power to touch others’ lives for good or for ill each day – our families, friends, work colleagues or anyone else we meet or contact in some way. And each day, the words of others have the power to impact us in return. Sometimes, they may lift us up and encourage us, but at others, they may discourage and even hurt deeply.

In January this year, my third non-fiction book, Swansong: Start creating your legacy of life-giving words, was published by Authentic Media UK. In the course of promoting it, I recorded two radio interviews and a podcast with organisations based in the UK while sitting right here in my study in front of my laptop. During one for Trans World Radio, my lovely interviewer mentioned something that happened to him when he was growing up. If he ever made a mistake, he told me, a ‘close family member’ would say to him, ‘Oh, you’re so useless!’ Then he hastily added, ‘They probably didn’t mean anything by it – it was probably just a throw-away line. However, it took me many, many years to undo the harm those words did to me.’

My heart went out to him all the way to the UK. However, I also remembered how easy it can be for any of us to speak or write similar ‘throw-away lines’ to others and how hard it can be, as James warns us in his letter, to tame our tongues – or our fingers as we write (James 3). Yet, as Paul reminds us, we can choose whether our words will indeed benefit others or otherwise:

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Ephesians 4:29

What a challenge for us, not only as we speak but also as we write! What sort of legacy will our many thousands of words leave behind when we are no longer here? Will they affirm, encourage or comfort? Will they bring peace and blessing to our readers? Will they perhaps challenge, yet also express empathy, mercy and forgiveness?

Whenever I personally sell one of my own books, I always ask if I can write ‘God bless’ as well as sign my name inside. For me, these are not two glib, meaningless words but, instead, a fervent prayer that God will truly benefit my reader in some way and draw them closer to God. May this always be our aim as Christian authors, in whatever genre we write. May we always remember the power our words can have and seek to use them so wisely and well.

Jo-Anne Berthelsen is a Sydney-based author of seven novels and three non-fiction works. She holds
degrees in Arts and Theology and has worked in teaching, editing and local church ministry. Jo-Anne loves encouraging others through both the written and spoken word and is a keen blogger.

www.jo-anneberthelsen.com

www.joanneberthelsen.wordpress.com


0 comments:

Post a Comment