Thursday 18 January 2024

In for the long haul

 

I began my writing journey in earnest almost twenty years ago now. Back then, if you had told me I would have ten books published by 2024, I would not have believed you. I thought I had one novel burning inside me, but that turned out to be seven in the end. I also remember declaring back then that I could never see myself writing non-fiction. Yet, just last week, my third non-fiction book, Swansong, was released.

Some have asked me why – and how – I keep going with all my writing and speaking. I usually respond by saying that I still feel I have things to say that I hope will encourage and draw others closer to God. Also, I still enjoy both – so why stop? As to the ‘how’ question, I can honestly say I would not still be writing if it were not for God’s guidance and strengthening over the years through the words of Scripture, through others and directly into my spirit. While I did not know I would still be writing all these years later, God knew and has constantly given me the impetus to keep going and the opportunities to be published.

I remember with gratitude how, when I was struggling to find a traditional publisher for my first novel, a young mum in a group I was part of prayed earnestly that my novel would indeed see the light of day. Later, she told me she thought she had seen a new Christian publisher advertised in a magazine at her mother’s place. She promised to email me the relevant information and I thanked her – but, in my heart, I was sure she would forget. A few days later, however, her email arrived – and, eventually, this was the publisher who released my first manuscript.

Fast forward to around eighteen years later when I was again looking for a publisher, this time for my third non-fiction book, Swansong. In October 2022 at the Omega Christian Writers’ Conference in Kingscliff, at what I believe was God’s prompting, I booked a Zoom interview with a representative of an overseas non-fiction publisher, Authentic Media UK. A wonderful online meeting ensued – and, soon after, I was offered a contract with Authentic.

When I started my writing journey, I did not fully believe those who told me writing is a ‘long haul’ undertaking. Yet, they were right. After all, it can take months or years for one book to emerge – and it can take even longer to build up any significant body of writing and gain a wide readership. But God of course knows that – and God also knows what shape our writing journeys will take. Perhaps God has just one book for you to write – and that is absolutely fine. But perhaps God wants you in for the long haul too and has given you many ideas that are waiting to see the light of day. In this case, I want to encourage you to keep trusting and walking with God, who is more than able to strengthen and guide and bring the right publishing opportunities your way. Our role is to listen, to obey, to persevere and to give of our best, whatever shape our writing journey may take.

May God enable us all to do exactly that in 2024.


Jo-Anne Berthelsen
lives in Sydney but grew up in Brisbane. She holds degrees in Arts and Theology and has worked as a high school teacher, editor and secretary, as well as in local church ministry. Jo-Anne is passionate about touching hearts and lives through the written and spoken word. She is the author of seven published novels and three non-fiction works, ‘Soul Friend’,  ‘Becoming Me’ and ‘Swansong’.. Jo-Anne is married to a retired minister and has three grown-up children and four grandchildren. For more information, please visit www.jo-anneberthelsen.com.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this encouraging post. I’m convinced the Holy Spirit is guiding every part of my writing journey, if only I can relax and trust him and follow. May this next book be a mighty influence in many peoples lives.
    What are you writing next?
    Blessings Jo Anne.

    ReplyDelete