Thursday 19 October 2023

What did God say?

 by Anusha Atukorala

Recently, my phone seems to have a bumble bee buzzing blearily inside its bright blue bouncy bonnet! (A bee in its bonnet?) When its battery power falls below 50%, a red light starts to flash, warning me that my battery will soon be flat. My phone then switches into power-saving mode and its google chat function‘s background turns dark. In actual fact, there’s absolutely nothing to worry about. It can function very well for the rest of the day even with the charge dropping steadily.

 

When my phone was new, the warning was given only when its charge was below 15% which was of course the right time to give it. Now obviously, something in the phone's power circuit has gone awry. I decided to humour my phone. Each time it starts to flash, I recharge it and pretty soon it’s well above 50%, and stops its urgent summons.


My temperamental phone reminds me of us human beings who are often prone to sink into catastrophe mode at the drop of a hat. Or into worry mode. Or to dip our toes (and minds) in the murky pool of anxiety. My health issues with chronic fatigue and debilitating pain of many years caused additional problems. 


After 12 years of the illness, I discovered that I was unable to manage negative emotions – something I’d never had a problem with before. If triggered, I’d spiral downwards into a state of anxiety and fear, unable to think my way up again. Arrrgh! Thankfully … I was given an unexpected gift this year. From an unusual quarter too! Thank You God!


I was offered a place in a clinical trial conducted by the University of NSW. Researchers had discovered that the part of the brain that controls pain also controls emotional regulation. Now I knew why I’d easily sink down like a rock into the ocean and with no warning. It wasn't me. It was my little brain, depleted of its feel-good chemicals due to a large amount of stress hormones that chronic pain had unleased! Because I now knew what caused it, I could take action.

 

Eleven of us from all across Australia took part in the trial. We had 12 weeks of face to face Zoom meetings and were given an App to use daily to practice new skills– to help us manage our emotions better. They included mindfulness meditation (I turned it into Christian mindfulness), filling our emotional tanks using helpful activities, learning healthy ways of responding to stress and so on.


When my fear circuit gets activated, I am now able to use my new skills to reach a better place. Recently I decided that each time my brain goes into panic mode, to ask myself a simple question, the question being: ‘What did God say?’ 

Now, that was a good move … remembering God’s answers to my fearful thoughts is always soothing and brings quick relief -  like a storm tossed boat reaching quiet waters and finding safe harbour. 


God saysTrust me.’ 

God says I will never leave you nor forsake you. 

God says Don’t look at circumstances. Look at me.’ 

God says I'll work everything out for your good.' 


God says All is well’.



Such a simple question, but a powerful one. We Christian writers too are often hurt by words thrown at us from the world. Publishers tell us our work is not good enough, or our books receive negative reviews. Our own thoughts reprimand us, telling us that our writing is dismal. We might compare ourselves with other writers and feel we have little to offer. We may be sad at how few of our books are sold and assume we are failures. We hear the voice of the Enemy screaming lies at us, lies that we believe. We might even question our calling. ‘Did God really call me to write for Him?’

 

And so today, I ask you dear writerly friend, on days when life gets difficult, “What does God say to you?” About your writing. About your life. About your walk with God? The Enemy of our souls is present and active and clever at smearing our hearts and minds with murky unsubstantiated lies. Do not believe him. Believe God instead. His Word is true. It is the only truth we can depend on.

 

If God has asked you to write … go ahead. Write!

If God has said you are enough, you are. 

Of course, you are!

If God has said your failures are pillars of success – then, believe Him. You are a winner!

If God says ‘All is well’ then yes, all is well. You can rest!

 


If God calls you to write for Him ... He will use your words to achieve His eternal purposes.


And what could be more significant, 

more magnificent, more thrilling than that?

 

“As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is My Word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.” 

The Lord God Almighty

Isaiah 55:10-11



Anusha’s been on many interesting detours in life, as a lab technician, a computer programmer, a full time Mum, a full time volunteer, a charity director, a full time job chaser, until one golden day (or was it a dark moonless night?) God tapped her on her shoulder and called her to write for Him. She has never recovered from the joy it brought her. She loves to see others enjoying life with Jesus and does her mite to hurry the process in her world through her writing and through her life. The goodness of God is her theme song through each season, as she dances in the rain with Jesus.


Her first book Enjoying the Journey contains 75 little God stories that will bring you closer to your Creator. Her 2nd book ‘Dancing in the Rain’ brings you hope and comfort for life’s soggy seasons. Her 3rd book, Sharing the Journey’ is a sequel to 'Enjoying the Journey'.





Do drop in on her two websites to say G’day! 

                            She’d love to connect with you.

 Dancing in the Rain

 Light in the Darkness


5 comments:

  1. Thank you Anusha. What a simple and profound way to keep us focused. His goal, his method and character is always good.
    The roads we walk aren’t easy but often we allow them become more difficult because we focus on the rocks in the road instead of THE ROCK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Above comment is mine too. I think I’m working out why it says anonymous 🤔😀♥️

      Delete
    2. Anusha Atukorala19 October 2023 at 11:03

      Thanks so much dear Jo for reading and responding. Do agree that we need to focus on God rather than on circumstances or whatever else we face. He is the Rock as you aptly remind us. May we learn to stand on our Rock, no matter what! God bless you on your own journey and fill your life with His good things as He always does.

      As for why it says Anonymous ... I've had a lot of issues with Blogger - it seems to do that sometimes. I usually I can't even post a comment. It's become rather difficult to post comments on. Thanks for letting me know it was you! All good!

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed your blog, thanks Anu. When I write something, whatever, my first reader (who reads with me as I write) is God. I value His opinion above all others - but welcome constructive criticism from caring readers too. Thanks again. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anusha Atukorala19 October 2023 at 21:04

      Thanks so much for taking the time to read and respond dear Nettie. I love that God is your first Reader. Definitely - His input and ideas are our most valuable resource. Lovely to hear - never thought of asking Him since I ask Him before I write to direct my writing and lean on Him as I do - so I believe that what I write therefore is from Him.

      I do know that I can't write anything without His help. I do agree that His opinion matters most! Every blessing on your writing journey dear friend. Bless you.

      Delete