Thursday 17 August 2023

Know Your Reader by Jeanette Grant-Thomson


 

So you’ve written a good novel. It has likeable characters, an interesting story line, even some gripping suspense. But now … who will read it? And how will you keep their interest after your initial year or so of online spiels, pics, blurbs, emails, and other promotion?


One key I believe is often overlooked. In getting started, we writers are lucky these days. We’re swamped with books, articles and teaching on how to write well. Many of these focus on plot and structure, characters, writing style and various other aspects of the craft. Even the necessary thing, marketing. But one of the keys I found most important at first is Knowing your Readers.






The birthing of Jodie’s Story


When I wrote Jodie’s Story (my first novel after having many shorter pieces and Sunday School books published), I broke all the rules. I squished my writing into any bits of spare time, even writing a chapter in squiggly lurching handwriting on the train going to Brisbane. I didn’t do any re-working at all. None. I didn’t have it edited before submitting it to the then largest Christian publisher in Australia. (NOT recommending any of this!) I knew nothing at all about current popular writing techniques as it was about twenty-five years since I’d been to an in-person writing course. I attended a writers group in Nambour and found them helpful but they didn’t touch on many issues that had arisen in recent years. And I was shocked to hear a visiting speaker tell us, ‘If Peter Carey submits a handwritten novel written on butcher’s paper, we’ll probably publish it. Ouch! After all my trouble and having had my sister type it up beautifully for me. (I didn’t even type then!). As an unknown, what hope did I have?


I’d gone from writing the Teen Challenge newsletter about rehabilitating drug addicts and other troubled young people, to teaching Speech and Drama to all ages but especially teens. Perhaps you’d think there’d be no overlap there. 

But I soon learnt that some of my pupils were struggling at home or school. There were drugs in some schools. Some pupils wondered what life was all about. Several made Christian commitments (not with any pushing or input from me. Some attended Christian schools.)  






I came to know some of my pupils well and cared deeply about their futures. So … out of that, I wrote Jodie’s Story for them, praying it would abort their following in Jodie’s footsteps.

    My publisher was dubious at first, as Chris Kline (the ex-girlfriend of one of Mick Jagger’s managers) had just published A Brilliant Deception, which targeted similar readers. But I believe God wanted Jodie’s testimony published and it ‘just so happened’ that Teen Challenge decided to celebrate their first twenty years in ministry. They offered to buy the first 1000 books, so … Anzea Publishers said ‘yes’, in 1991 Jodie’s Story was launched at the Teen Challenge celebratory dinner … and it was popular!

Why? 

After all, it’s not an appealing topic. But I knew those teenagers and what they cared about. I wrote it for them.

This little book has continued to be popular with teenagers in particular and has sold many copies. It is in its third edition and has been sold in many countries.


After Jodie’s Story was published, I was asked by a small magazine to write an article sharing some keys to successful writing. So I wracked my brains and came up with Know Your Readers. Know what they like, what they fear, and what issues they care about. It had been a real key for me.



My WIP




My current work in progress – Riverview – is also a novel. I’ll call it women’s fiction but … who am I really writing for? Theoretically, some of my friends again – baby boomers or middle aged women. A few men. I know my immediate friends will almost certainly read it. If they like it, they’ll recommend it to their friends or families. 

Needless to say, I now rewrite – and again and again. I also pay to have my work professionally edited. The ball is really in my court now to give it my best shot so my friends and associates, when they read it, will like it so well they talk about it to their own friends. I keep an ear open to hear what my friends enjoy reading about. What they care about. Good reviews are a great help but over a long period of years, I think word of mouth (or online ‘mouth’) is the most significant factor in promoting our books. 




Another type of writing


It’s worth remembering though: there is another type of novel-writing. Writing for oneself or for God. I think it’s so important we don’t lose the joy of writing in our quest to get results. Writing simply because we love it is so fulfilling. We writers enjoy creating and words are our medium. 




Jeanette Grant-Thomson is a S.E.Queensland based author. She has been writing and having work published since she was a child and has enjoyed writing in most genres.

Her first novel Jodie’s Story, now in its third edition, is a true story which opened the door for her to write several other works.

Apart from writing, Jeanette enjoys the mountains, the beach, swimming and having coffee with friends. She is a sincere Christian and attends church regularly.

She can be contacted on Facebook, LinkedIn or Goodreads and her books can be seen and ordered on her Author Page - www.facebook.com/jeanette.grantthomson   Her blogs are  

godwhispersjgt.blogspot.com and Jeanette’s Journalling.blogspot.com


0 comments:

Post a Comment