Monday 30 January 2023

Back to Beginnings

 This past weekend I spent much of my time in the pages of my debut novel. It’s been ten years since it was fresh off the press and, in advance of a new novel release later this year, my first book baby is getting a facelift for a revised edition to mark this anniversary.


For those who have navigated the book-release path, have any of you re-read something you published early in your writing journey? Did you want to put a pen through some of the passages your “older self” (in a writing context) would have never worded that way? Did the structure and pace still work for you? Did you find yourself falling in love with your characters and story all over again? Did you have a little cringe when you noticed things that could have done with a little extra context and background research? None of the above? All of the above?

For me, it was an “all” experience. But it also revealed to me how much I’ve grown as a writer since those early publication days (and reminded me how much I’m STILL learning—that never stops!). Several times I’ve heard authors apologise for their early work, yet I have gone on to thoroughly enjoy those stories. Yes, there may have been little pieces here and there that could have been reworked, but the heart and soul of the story was still solid and the characters captivating.

In those “sorry, it was my early work” moments, I’ve always had mixed feelings. As a writer, I sure do get it. Some of my manuscripts never saw the light of day—well, not yet—and I am SO grateful for that. However, those beginning works are also an essential part of our writing growth, and there cannot be any future “more developed” works without that first publication.

It can be a challenging thing to share your writing drafts when you’re in those early days, especially with someone outside your safe circle. To send all your blood, sweat and tears off to a professional for critiquing or editing can be enough to make one nauseous. Do you know how many writers never get published because they found the path to publication too hard? Many more writers give up than the ones that see their stories in print.

So if you are a published author, I encourage you to celebrate that achievement, including your first “book baby” and all the “firsts” it brought you.

If you are yet to be published, I encourage you to keep writing and learning and if you’re feeling discouraged and a bit bumped and bruised, it might be time to pick yourself up again, set some goals, and get back on that writing horse. It’ll probably buck you off a few more (multi-dozen!!!) times, but each hard landing and consequential bruises are valuable learning, so long as you allow them to be and don’t succumb to offense or discouragement.

And as CWD members, what a joy to celebrate each person’s writing journey! I love that about this group. (Not to mention as a reader I’ve discovered a wealth of awesome books along the way.) If you take nothing else away from this post, why not invest a few minutes to do something encouraging for a writer whose work has marked your world for the better? That might be a review, a recommendation, an email, or even a shout out in the comments below. Whatever it might be, do something. I know you will make some writer’s day. 😊


Queensland author Adele Jones writes young adult fringe and near-science fiction exploring the underbelly of bioethics and confronting teen issues that include disability, self-worth, loss, domestic conflict, and more. She also writes historical fiction, poetry, inspirational non-fiction and short fictional works, with themes of social justice, humanity, faith, natural beauty and meaning in life’s journey. Adele’s first YA novel Integrate (book one of the Blaine Colton Trilogy) was awarded the 2013 CALEB Prize for unpublished manuscript. As a speaker she seeks to present a practical and encouraging message by drawing on themes from her writing. For more visit www.adelejonesauthor.com or contact[at]adelejonesauthor.com



3 comments:

  1. I honour you, Adele, for having the courage to go back and take a second look at your first novel. That's something I have never been able to bring myself to do ... well, yet, anyway! I still get requests for my first novel but there are no stocks of it around now, except for an occasional second-hand copy I come by. Many times, I have thought of re-editing both it and its sequel, so you have given me food for thought. I also have recordings of my first five novels produced by CBM Australia but have never been able to bring myself to listen to them as I know I would want to change too many things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love you to revisit your first books Jo-Anne. The Helena stories deserve it. They were great.

      Delete
    2. Jo-Anne, thank you for your comment. It has been an interesting exercise. I would be interested in hearing your experience if you do decide to revise your debut novel. I was delighted to read the first reply to your comment. I'm sure your beautiful story would be well received by future readers were you were to update it and release new copies.

      Delete