Monday 2 May 2022

Putting ourselves out there

 

I well remember how I felt when I saw the cover of my first novel Heléna for the first time, way back in 2007, in the middle of cooking dinner. What a moment! I tried to take in all I saw in that email attachment—the artwork the publisher had chosen, the layout, the back cover blurb, even the spine. But what caught my eye above all else was my own name in large, capital letters across the top of the front cover. Even now, fifteen years later, I still remember the shock I felt at seeing it there and the question I almost blurted out loud.

‘What have I done?’

Of course, I had known my name would be there on that cover. But in that moment, the sheer vulnerability of having a book published finally dawned on me. So many questions tumbled through my mind, one after another. Would anyone want to read this novel I had so loved writing? Would they be able to relate to the storyline? Would they like or hate my characters?

Was it… was it too late to change my mind about the whole idea?

It definitely was, I knew that. Now, eight books later, I am so glad I didn’t. Yet with each new book I launch, I still experience that feeling of deep vulnerability and reluctance to reveal my work in public. And that is why I particularly appreciated the email I recently received from a youngish male friend who had read my latest novel Down by the Water, released in January last year. He had bothered to write a lovely review of it on Goodreads and, because I knew him, I wrote to thank him. Here is part of his response:

It occurs to me that authors like you show great vulnerability to offer your work to the general public where anyone can say whatever they like in a public forum like Goodreads. So, I honour the risk you take in publishing your work, and not just your ‘work’ but your treasured baby that you have poured yourself into for months and even years. I try to honour that risk in my reviews…. I hope you find publishing is worth that risk—because, if you didn’t publish, so many of us would miss out on enjoying your gift.

I share these gentle, thoughtful words of his here to encourage us all that there are those out there who appreciate the risk we take in being published and cheer us on. From my own experience too, I would say that walking this vulnerable path is so worth it. If God has given us stories to share, we need to work hard to refine them, then put them out there. There will be those who criticise and point out flaws in our writing, some of which may well be justified. This is, after all, how we learn. But even if that criticism is unfair, does it really matter? After all, as Christians, we follow the one who made himself so vulnerable, walked the humble road and endured so much for our sakes. So, let’s all take courage, keep writing and keep putting ourselves out there!

Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. 1 Peter 4:10


Jo-Anne Berthelsen
lives in Sydney and is the author of seven published novels and two non-fiction works, Soul Friend and Becoming Me. She holds degrees in Arts and Theology and has worked in teaching, editing and local church ministry. Jo-Anne loves encouraging others through both the written and spoken word and is a keen blogger.

www.jo-anneberthelsen.com

www.joanneberthelsen.wordpress.com


2 comments:

  1. Thank you Jo-Anne for all the wisdom (and vulnerability) you shared here today. Just the perfect encouragement for me as I teeter on the verge of putting my own vulnerability 'out there'. Bless you for paving the way, and calling us to follow your example.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your lovely comment, Mazzy. I know God will give you the courage to put your own work out there at the right time for you--and I'm sure there will be many around you, cheering you on as you do! God bless.

      Delete