Monday 6 December 2021

CWD Member Interview – Sara Powter

From time to time we interview one of the members of Christian Writers Downunder – to find out a little bit more about them and their writing/editing goals. 

Today’s interview : Sara Powter 


Question 1: Tells us three things about who you are and where you come from. 


Recently retired, Ministers wife. We live on the NSW Central Coast and are waiting to see what project the good Lord has for us next. 

 Question 2: Tell us about your writing (or editing/illustrating etc). What do you write and why? 


I only started writing Sept 2020. One of the ‘duties’ I had during the 1st Covid lockdown was being a person, locked down and lonely people could ring. Calls were often long. During one such call which lasted over three hours, I was flicking through my computer and saw a story that mum had written and given to me before she died. ( I had already had 3 of her books printed and knew she had another one part written. I had intentionally never read it.) So, to see if I could one day finish it, I decided to write one myself. So, I started ... ‘Hands Upon the Anvil’ was born.
I write Australian Colonial stories. And they are Sagas- so all over 100k words:- Bk 1 is 150k; Bk 2 is 170k words and the co-authored one is 110k. 

Question 3: Who has read your work? Who would you like to read it? 


If you like Australian History, like Eleanor Dark’s the Timeless Land; or EV Timms, Forever to Remain; Catherine Gaskin’s Sara Dane or Marcus Clarke’s, For the term of his natural life, then that’s what mine are like – but with a Christian Flavour, then hopefully you’d love there. 

They are a step back in time sort of story, but with a touch of romance. I have given copies to some of our parishioners and friends. Although they were only proofs they loved them, I’m now to this become my passion – I’m on to #9 

Question 4: Tell us something about your process. What challenges do you face? What helps you the most? 


 My stories ( now on book 9 – and yes I finished mum’s book) are often inspired by our family histories. I have four convicts in my family and Hubby has three. And then there are all the free settlers. Finding a story line is not hard. Stopping writing is! My biggest challenge is slight dyslexia, but for some reason writing these stories just seem to flow. My spelling is abysmal, and my grammar is worse, but I manage. Finding a professional Editor who knows what she’s doing has been great.

Question 5: What is your favourite Writing Craft Book and why? I don’t what that is? 


If you mean who triggered this? Then it was when I was reading Carolyn Miller’s books, I realised I could tell a series of stories. As to who I refer to – then being dyslexic – I’ve battled with words most of my life. Reading aloud is a killer, though I found reading helped with writing. I now devour books. I don’t have a reference set of books, but I have found that my editing is still dismal. Grammarly Pro is my 2nd help. I have to often look up what things like Syntax are. I’m learning. My novels actually include a bibliography as they are historical novels, and so I use TROVE and the online Biographical Dictionary a lot. 

Question 6: If you were to give a shout-out to a CWD author, writer, editor or illustrator – who would they be? 


 I’m loving so many of them, but Carolyn Miller is great. I have all of her historical ones. There are others too, but she’s been a great encouragement too. 

Question 7: What are your writing goals for this year? How will you achieve them? 


I have three books already out. My first two and the co-authored one with mum. I have four more backlogged at the editor, one more in the pre edit stage and another partially written. 2022 will see at least four more out- possibly even more. I do all the graphics, covers and lay out myself. Until I get a multi-million movie deal, I don’t think I’ll be making much money out of it. But I love writing the stories.


Question 8: How does your faith impact and shape your writing? 


 So much of our colonial history is told from either the Government or ‘bad’ convicts point of view. Mine are told from the view of those wanting to make something of their lives. They have normally come from squalor and are determined to help others. This is in fact what my family did. Faith has always been vital to their lives. Even before their arrival in the colony they were trying to make a difference. My faith is interwoven into many if not most of my characters. I am today who I am because of them. Their faith was strong, and they taught the importance of a firm belief in Jesus.
 

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to reading some of your novels, Sara. I enjoy reading novels set in colonial Australia. My father’s family came to Brisbane as early settlers in 1849. They came to help make a difference here as Christians.

    ReplyDelete