Thursday 8 October 2020

CWD Member Interview – MP Ashman

Most Thursdays this year we will be interviewing one of the members of Christian Writers Downunder – to find out a little bit more about them and their writing/editing goals. 

Today’s interview: MP Ashman 


Question 1: Tells us three things about who you are and where you come from. 

I have always wanted to be an author, ever since Primary School, and never really pursued anything else. I was born in Maryborough but have spent most of my life in Toowoomba. I don’t mind watching football on TV, but I would rather do archery as a sport (which I do). 

Question 2: Tell us about your writing (or editing/illustrating etc). What do you write and why? 
 
Although I generally write whatever comes into my head at the time, my present project is a series called “Time Twins,” about a part of twin sisters who are not really sisters at all. They are, in fact, the same person, with one of the girls originating from a parallel universe. As a side effect of their existence in the same universe, the two girls develop psionic powers, which they use to great effect in defense of others, as well as themselves. Of course, there are also negative consequences, which will be further explored as the series progresses.

Question 3: Who has read your work? Who would you like to read it? 

Although only the first book in the series is currently published, a couple of civilians have given favourable reviews. I hope everyone gets the chance to enjoy these characters as much as I enjoy writing them, especially as their story is further built upon. 

Question 4: Tell us something about your process. What challenges do you face? 

What helps you the most? At present I spend most of my time writing, usually from around 8:30 in the morning to 15:00 in the afternoon, with a half hour break at 10:20 – or thereabouts – and another at 12:00, to around 13:00. As to the writing itself, I will usually go with whatever comes to mind at the time, though with my current series I do have semi-detailed plans, just to make sure the essential elements remain consistent throughout each book (there are around 20 titles to follow the one currently on offer. 

Question 5: What is your favourite Writing Craft Book and why? 

To be honest, I have never really read any. I just usually follow my own instincts, which works well enough for the writing process. It’s publicity and marketing where I experience serious drawbacks 

Question 6: If you were to give a shout-out to a CWD author, writer, editor or illustrator – who would they be? 

Adele Jones, for suggesting this opportunity. 

Question 7: What are your writing goals for this year? How will you achieve them? 

The goal for this year is to complete the rewrite of the second novel in the series, though it seems unlikely that will happen, as there is a lot of work to do, and never seems to be enough time. Hopefully, it will be completed by the early half of 2021.

Question 8: How does your faith impact and shape your writing?

I think that depends on the subject of the book. In the present series, for instance, I see the main characters as being Christian, though faith is not the focus of their story. But, seeing as how the focus of the series is about achieving individuality when you’re no longer one of a kind, I do expect that God will come into it (so to speak), at some point in the narrative. Other than that, I try to avoid using bad language more than necessary or having anyone other than a villain expressing sinful behaviour.
 

MP Ashman was born in Maryborough Queensland in 1985, but the family soon moved to Toowoomba, where Ashman has spent the majority of his life. Discovering a love of writing at eight years old, it was perhaps due to books such as The Neverending Story that his initial interest was in fantasy fiction. Many years later, however, he began to carve out his niche in science fiction with the initially self-published offering Time’s Child (in 2014). However, this and other self-published titles were withdrawn from the market in 2016, with a view to seeking traditional publication. The main characters of the Time Twins series were initially conceived in 2003, while Ashman was still at school, but it would not be until many years later that they would find their voice and their story. Ashman continues to live in Toowoomba with his family, including his cat, Prue. 

2 comments:

  1. Great choice of sport, MP, God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing a bit more of your story. Your Time Twins series sounds like it has an interesting premise. I really admire your work ethic. I'm bogged down at the plotting stage of my next book at the moment, and haven't started writing. Sounds like you have a good system in place. Good luck with the other books planned in the series.

    ReplyDelete