Monday 14 October 2019

Omega Writers Conference 2019

Wow! What a weekend. Raewyn Elsegood you did it again and thank you to everyone else who helped make it happen. There were some amazing presenters who came to speak at the conference including key note speaker, Steve Laube.




Nola Passmore, Adele Jones and Kirsten Hart were asked some questions about their time at the conference this year.

What inspired you most at the conference?


NOLA PASSMORE
It’s always encouraging to see and hear what everyone has been doing with their writing since the last conference. It always perks me up and reminds me why I write. Also Jenny Glazebrook’s sermon during our worship time really touched my heart, especially the inspiring story of her 10-year-old daughter sharing her faith without fear because she’s so in love with Jesus.

ADELE JONES
It’s a tough ask to pick one moment out of so many: from Keynote address by Steve Laube; Practical workshop sessions; CALEB awards; to meal conversations. As I have to pick one, I’m going to say seeing so many first time Omega conference attendees embraced by those who’ve attended previously, and watching those newbies become connected.

KIRSTEN HART
It's interesting how other people perceive things. It's the same with the books we write. Steve Laube shared a story (one of many) about a lady who expressed her thanks to him about a book he'd recommended to her, and how it had changed her life. The message she'd taken from the book had absolutely nothing to do with what the writer had intended for the story. If we can make a positive difference in one persons life, regardless of whether it's the message we were trying to convey or not, we've already succeeded.

What challenged you most?


NOLA PASSMORE
To redefine what I think of as success. Not to compare myself to others and think in terms of how many books someone else has published, what awards they’ve won, how many reviews they have, whether they’re with a big publisher, etc. Instead think of what God has called me personally to do with my writing. If we touch the life of just one other person with our words, we’ve succeeded.

ADELE JONES
I'm going to cheat on this one and pick more than one! I can’t remember word-for-word, but during one of Steve Laube's sessions we were challenged to honour our writing as a privileged opportunity to create powerful, God-honouring stories, and not treat those words with doubtful uncertainty or even contempt. (I’m not sure that was the exact message, but that’s what I’m taking away!) Another challenge from David Rawlings was to engage others in our writing journey so they can share that creative adventure. Oh yes, and hearing so many examples of brilliant writing. Always more to learn.

KIRSTEN HART
David Rawlings workshop, Managing a Writer's Workload presented some helpful solutions to the challenging areas of being a writer. He challenged us to go away and try at least three ideas to help with time management. The biggest challenge for me would be to do things one at a time. I've always created new ideas for more stories, written and edited a first draft, worked on social media platforms and researched bits and pieces for a number of stories all at once. I liked the suggestion to work on one thing per week. I might have to try this.

What was your most memorable moment?


NOLA PASSMORE
Steve Laube telling me it’s okay to say ‘No’

ADELE JONES
Seeing so many familiar faces and catching up on a year’s worth of life happenings.

KIRSTEN HART
After Steve Laube spoke on Friday night, I had the strongest urge to blow off all the workshops and just write for the entire weekend!

What are your goals moving forward?


NOLA PASSMORE
To finish the edits of my novel and have it published and on the book table next year And of course to be beach-body-ready for next year’s conference. Bring it on!

ADELE JONES
I need to complete revisions on the two manuscripts I’m working on, along with the “Wired for Story” course I abandoned mid-year, at about the 2/3 mark. I also need to get a couple of ideas off the ground on the social networking front.

KIRSTEN HART
To complete structural edits on my fantasy novel within the next few months and learn all about Instagram.


13 comments:

  1. Thanks guys for your terrific answers. Lol Nola - I'm glad you didn't say 'no' to this request! Adele, I truly appreciate your reiterated encouragement to value the words we write as a gift from God and, (as your paraphrase spoke to me) not to despise the day of small beginnings. Nola: "If we touch the lives of one other person with our writing, we've succeeded." YES! I'm beginning to realise how much God has touched and changed my life as I've dared to write. By this criteria, just getting the words on the page is a success, and it has opened doors of influence I had never dreamed of. Kirsten, I've been inclined to beat myself up for being so single-minded in preparing my novel for publication, and my efforts to upskill via the process, but the challenge you relay to 'do things one at a time' (combined with the message of your blog a couple of weeks back regarding there being a season for everything) has added to my peace about it. Thank you so much ladies, for sharing your experiences and passing along the flavour of this year's conference. Next year at the beach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mazzy, I tried to say 'No', but they wouldn't let me! Sorry you couldn't be there this year, but looking forward to joining you in the pool next time :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Mazzy. There were so many "best moments". (See Raewyn's comment for a smidge of those bests. Lol) Can't wait to share more soon. Hope you can join us next time!

      Delete
  2. It was an amazing weekend, and I’m trying to process so much information this morning, so it’s good to see how Nola, Adele and Kirsten saw the weekend too. For me it was Jenny’s message on Sunday morning and the beautiful picture she presented of sitting at Jesus feet, and the way the luggage tags were unique and so beautifully meaningful for everyone. God was speaking to everyone individually in such a beautiful way! So much more to think through and apply!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thanks for all of your work too Kaye. We really appreciated it :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for taking the time to do this ladies. Wish I’d been able to be there. Sounds like there was some good teaching. Planning on heading to the Gold Coast next year though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really missed you Sue. Looking forward to hanging out in the pool with you next year :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you CWD for posting on conference so quickly and sharing personal experiences of a few that attended. I have been overwhelmed this year by our delegates responses and the feedback survey hasn't even gone out yet. Lol. God showed me that even though we are planning in 2020 to take conference to 'another level' at Peppers He was going to show me how He was going to 'take us to another level' no matter where we were now. Every presenter hit key notes with delegates, Steve Laube presented differently every time He spoke thus hitting a sweet spot for all our different creatives. The Hub went off with nearly 60 appointments had over the weekend with contracts given, editors engaged and health next steps encouraged. Caleb awards celebrated everyone from first prize winners down to who wrote their first blog - we are all winners if we are doing something with our writing. Our chaplains Jenny and Carolyn wrapped it all in a spiritual takeaway with vulnerable story and individual words for each of us. God was indeed present and allowed each of our delegates to do what they needed within the space and program provided. We have never had so many writers taking themselves off to write over conference during the weekend because they were so inspired. Well done writers, together our words will change the world, one person at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great wrap-up Raewyn. Thanks for all of your hard work. We really appreciated it.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing! Oh how I wish I was there. Can't wait til next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've missed you for a while Michelle, though know you've had a lot on your plate. Will look forward to seeing you next year for sure :)

      Delete
  6. Loved reading the different perspectives on the conference. Wished I was there this year - but there is always next year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We missed you, Jenny. Next year for sure! :)

      Delete