Friday 15 March 2013

A Divine Appointment


This is a story about one of those wonderful ‘divine appointments’ which are great testimonies that show how much God cares, and how an ordinary Christian can be used by Him to witness to and bring comfort to someone.
            In the Riverland, South Australia, (gorgeous place!), I hired a caravan to live in, with my dogs by a river, until I obtained more permanent accommodation. I found a little bungalow on someone’s property and returned the caravan to the hire place. After awhile, I was unable to find the box with all my memorabilia and my precious photo albums. I panicked and figured I must have left it in the caravan. I remembered then, that it had been packed away under the front seat.
            I really wondered whether I would ever see my precious treasures again as I asked the caravan hire manager if he knew where the caravan was, as it wasn’t in the yard. He gave me directions to a clearing in the middle of the bush where the current renter was living in the caravan.
            I managed to find it and was welcomed by the man and given a cup of coffee. To my relief, there all my stuff was, under the seat still! As I chatted to the man, he shared with me about his grieving. He had lost his wife six months ago and was devastated and didn’t believe that he would ever get over his loss. I was able to comfort him and told him about the comfort Jesus has always given me and I told him about the bad situations I’d had and how I’d come through them with the help of God’s tender love.
            He wasn’t a Christian, but knew a little bit about God’s love. He was crying and I prayed with him. We talked for a long time about the power of God and His love and I left a happier man than the one I’d first met, and he promised that he would seek consolation from God every day!
            This filled me with such joy that God had been able to use me. So often, I had sought comfort through sharing with others about my sorrow and leaning on them, as well as looking to the Lord for comfort and peace. Now, at last, I had been able to give back, and God used me to make a difference in someone else’s life. I do love these powerful and reassuring ‘divine appointments’, don’t you?

Madeleine Calcutt
http://www.madeleinecalcutt.wordpress.com




5 comments:

  1. Hi Madeleine,
    That's a wonderful divine appointment. Thanks for sharing it. I love stories like that. Glad you were able to get your treasures back too. The SA Riverland is a lovely, peaceful spot. My mother was born in Renmark, so we have a bit of family history there and I love to return whenever I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Madeleine

    That's a lovey story. I do love those God moments when he brings one to the right person at just the right time. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful story. Love it how God uses the seemingly 'go wrong' situations in our life to make things very right. Wow! Bless you for sharing God's heart with this man who obviously needed to hear the good news.

    Thanks for sharing with us Madeleine. It fills me with hope for all those 'divine appointments' I have yet to see found amidst the disappointments and discouragements of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this story with us, Madeleine. Isn't it amazing how something we think is a hardship, or bother can be turned into a ministry. God works EVERYTHING for the good of those who love Him. I hope and pray that this gentleman continues to find comfort in Him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great story Madeleine and a really good reminder that all things work together for good for those who love the Lord. If only we could always see God's perspective. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete