Friday 3 February 2012

Faith, Hope, Love

Have you been to the book shop lately?  I mean actually into a mainstream retailer, and had a look at the selection of books that are on offer.  Worse still have you seen the books that are targeted at teenagers and even children?  They are dark and twisted.  Recently my son and I went on a quest to find a kids joke book. Not a crude one, not one full of evil, but a collection of giggles that would not leave a young mind traumatised.  It was not an easy task.


It got me to thinking that I am so thankful for each one of you.

I am so glad that God has called you on this day, in this hour, to weave faith, hope and love into your works, to add a glimmer of light to an often dark retail bookshelf.  I am so thankful that you are passionate and don't give up in the face of continual challenges.  I am blessed by your stories, works of art and factual insight.  I want each of you to know that God fights for you. 

When you are rejected by yet another publisher....He comforts you.

When you struggle to make ends meet...He gives you what you need and a little bit more.

When you succeed...He celebrates with you.

When you spend hour after hour combing your manuscript...He is guiding your hand.

Writing is not simply a product of the mind, but an expression of the innermost recesses of the human heart.  We are born again believers in Christ, filled with His light. If we do not persist in creating and expressing, then how will the world ever truly see faith, hope and love?  Only God is the source of faith, hope and love, and we know Him.

We dare to be different, knowing that if we plant a spark in the heart of the reader, God will do the rest. 

Nicole Watson writes non-fiction and resides in the Yarra Valley, Victoria.  You can find out more about Nicole here:
Sam's Heart on Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/samsheartbook


15 comments:

  1. Great post. It is the same with movies and books and almost any type of media. There is generally sex, bad language at least something undesirable. We have the "Little House on the Prairie" series at home. I would have no problem allowing a child to watch that, but even some children's shows now I shudder at the thought.

    We as Christian have a role to play in keeping the world safe for our children and readers.

    MEL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Melanie, the movies and music is just the same. It's amazing really because it's just history repeating. There are so many horrible things targeted at our children now. The sad things is that many parents aren't aware of the effects.

      Delete
  2. Loved your post Nicole. Thanks so much. I also really liked what you mentioned about the four ways that God is at work in our lives. Thanks for spurring us on to love and to good deeds via our writing. How blessed we are to be called to do that! Faith, hope and love are rich blessings aren't they? I can also add Joy to that - since we are given much joy in our writing journey.
    Thanks for your encouragement, Nicole.
    Blessings,
    Anusha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would add joy as well Anusha. We have the blessings of bringing joy to God and feeling joy from a job well done. xx

      Delete
  3. There was an article about the 'darkness' of much YA literature that provoked a lot of debate some months ago. I think it was http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303657404576357622592697038.html.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember reading this Peter. We have certainly been charged with a monumental task and one that will have a profound effect on a whole generation. If God is for us who can stand against us!

      Delete
  4. I love your heart Nicole. I agree. We must not grow weary or disheartened. With His Spirit we can turn the tide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs Jo. Yes, we must encourage and uplift each other, let God lead and keep on keeping on. Every soul that is saved is a cause for joy.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the encouragement, Nicole. I know what you mean about the mainstream bookstores. Last time I entered one, I came out inspired to write even more, to shine the light of Jesus in this dark world. Amen. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same feeling as I left the store Amanda. And now with online purchasing there is more of an opportunity for our fire-filled books to transform lives.

      Delete
  6. We live in a dark world and its prince aims to make it darker. We have to Light the dark as you, nicole, have said. Apart from Christ Jesus there isn't any Faith, Hope and Love. The World only offers vanity and vanishing dreams.
    I believe God calls His writers to challenge the darkness in every area. Thanks for the light you shine for Faith, Hope and love in our Lord.
    Ray Hawkins

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bless you Ray. Our lights may be small but combined we are a blazing torch in the hand of our Lord. We must write and speak until the whole world hears.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the way you write your blogs Nicole. They have an honest, uplifting tone. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Penny. You bless me with your words. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I needed to hear that today, Nicole. Blessings and love back. xoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete