Monday 4 January 2021

New Year Reset

 Who else was keen to see in the new year? So much happened in 2020, it seemed like a whirlwind, but I’m not sure if it went quickly or far too slowly. 

Originally the new year was celebrated around the vernal equinox, in mid-March. The early Romans calendar designated March 1st as the start of the new year. It wasn’t until 46 BC when Julius Caesar’s new solar-based calendar decreed January 1st to be the new year.


Photo by Danielle MacInnes on Unsplash


I saw a meme on Facebook a few days ago. about being concerned that this new year is in fact 2020 won … it does not bode well for this coming year, or people are really starting to have very low expectations. I wonder how many people are actually going to set new year resolutions or goals.


Why do we set new year goals? I mean, we can set goals at any point in the year, so why do we get so hyped up about setting them? If you know the answer to this question, please let me know because the average person who decides to do something in the new year will usually abandon it two weeks later. If you’re someone like me who has writing plans this year, how do we prevent ourselves from stumbling into the life of the average person and have nothing to show for it come New Year’s Eve?


I know some people, including myself who reflect on the year gone before they go about looking at the new year ahead.


  • What did you accomplish, no matter how small?
  • What lessons did you learn?
  • What skills or knowledge did you acquire?
  • Your happiest moment?
  • Your saddest moment?


Each year I’ve answered these questions and then set a whole bunch of goals for the new year. Sadly, I’m an average, new year, goal-setter. Most of the things I decide I’m going to do never pan out and by the end of the year I may be lucky enough to have completed one out of the dozen goals I set for myself (it’s usually the easiest one). This year, I’m going to try something different. I am going to set four goals for the year. A goal for my mind. A goal for my body. A goal for my spirit. And a goal for my writing.


They are simple.


  • To take a moment for myself each day - read a book, watch the sunrise, paint my nails. Something just for me.
  • To be more careful about what I eat - gluten free, dairy free.
  • To dive deeper into the word of God - study a book or passages each month.
  • To have fun writing - write for the pure pleasure of writing and not be bogged down with the pressures or stress of editing or publishing or that perfect sentence. To remember why I started writing.


Photo by Aaron Burden on Unsplash


What about you? What are your goals for this year? If you’re like me, post your goals below in the comments or on the CWD Facebook page and we can all keep each other accountable for the year ahead.






K.A. Hart is a born and bred Territorian who moved to Queensland and had no choice but to stay after her assimilation into Toowoomba's infamous, collective known as Quirky Quills.

Since then, K.A. Hart has had two short stories published. Stone Bearer, appears in Glimpses of Light and Tedious Tresses, in the As Time Goes By Mixed Blessings anthology. She is currently working on a fantasy novel.

4 comments:

  1. Love those goals of yours for this year, Kristen--thank you for sharing them. They have given me much food for thought too. Have a great year, writing for pure pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Kirsten. I believe it's usually New Year Resolutions that are ditched and not our goals? I am a big believer in New year goals myself but it takes me awhile to set them. I am planning a personal retreat in 2 weeks time (when life is less busy) for me to do some New Year planning. A bit late in the day true ....! 😊 But I need a week at least where I can seek God and ask Him what He requires of me. Loved your four goals and loved the idea of writing for pleasure. A few years back I set Lifetime goals - and that helps me with my yearly goals. While I failed big time in my writing goals last year - I believe I did achieve my most important goal of deeper intimacy with God (which is of course ongoing) so I am satisfied. Thanks for sharing and thanks for the encouragement to dream for 2021.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your idea of setting the four goals Kirsten - for your mind, body, spirit and writing. And also the thought of writing for fun. (That's a novel idea). My daughter recently said she is making decisions to invest in her future self. I love that, and am planning on taking this on board. And as a QQ, I know I speak for all of us when I say we are pleased you had no choice but to stay in Toowoomba with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kirsten. 2020 was a strange year, that's for sure. I'm thankful for the good things that happened - my daughter's wedding, the birth of two more grandchildren - and I learned new skills, progressed (albeit slowly) towards my novel's publication, and chose to be gentle on myself over what I didn't, or couldn't, achieve. Moving forward? I'll start with being thankful for each new day and for the opportunities it may bring. Today, I am thankful for good friends and fellow travellers, like yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete