Thursday 5 March 2020

CWD Member Interview - Janelle Moore



Most Thursdays this year we will be interviewing one of the members of Christian Writers Downunder – to find out a little bit more about them and their writing/editing goals.

Todays interview: Janelle Moore

Tells us three things about who you are and where you come from. 


  1.  I have been married to my wonderful husband for 21 years and we have two beautiful children, aged 19 and 17. 
  2.  I was raised on a dairy farm at Chinchilla and moved to Toowoomba 32 years ago.
  3.  Pre children, I worked as a Taxation Accountant in both Chinchilla and Toowoomba.


Tell us about your writing (or editing/illustrating etc).  What do you write and why?


I started writing short articles and devotions about my children’s antics and about some of the issues I faced as a mother.  I’ve also written devotions for women in general, based on my life experiences. I write because I want others to know Jesus and all He offers. 



Who has read your work? Who would you like to read it? 


To date, my work has been read by Christian women. I have had short articles published in “Footprints”, which was a Christian magazine, and have also had articles/devotions published in Penned from the Heart, Inspirational Stories for Aussie Women, Rise – Inspiring Devotions to Fuel Your First Year of College, Gathered Treasures – Devotionals to Connect the Hearts of Mums and Girls.  



I would hope that unchurched ladies may read my work in the future. I am currently working on my second book, another simple devotional aimed at women who struggle with self-esteem, self-worth etc. I want them to know they are loved, valued and important, regardless of where they have come from or what they have been through. My desire is that this book may impact the lives of both churched and unchurched women and help them to realise their value. I run a Playgroup at our Church and have contact with many young unchurched mums who desperately need Jesus. I would love it if they read my work and were encouraged to walk with God, and know their worth.


Tell us something about your process. What challenges do you face? What helps you the most?


My best time to write is when I wake of a morning, propped up on a heap of pillows on my bed. I love to journal and most of my work has begun with journaling. I start by putting pen to paper, and once I have a clear outline, I move to my computer because it is then so much easier to delete, alter, rearrange my words into some semblance of order.
My biggest challenges are self-doubt and procrastination. I don’t think these issues are uncommon for authors. I am learning to be more open, vulnerable and self-disciplined. I am trying to have more involvement with the writing world by attending book fairs, workshops, the conference later this year.  

If you were to give a shout-out to a CWD author, writer, editor or illustrator – who would they be? 


The amazing Quirky Quills! Without them I never would have begun this writing journey. They have patiently stood beside me, nagged me, encouraged me, challenged me, prodded me and cheered me on. I will forever be grateful to each one of them for the part they have played in leading and pushing me along this path. 

What are your writing goals for this year? How will you achieve them?


I have signed a contract to have my first book published, and it will be released later this year. It is a devotion for Mums and is the culmination of a 23-year dream. I can hardly believe that I will soon be planning my very own book launch (with the assistance of the very capable and experienced Quirky Quills of course).
And as mentioned above I have started a second devotion book to encourage women. How will I achieve this? With self-discipline and determination. I am trying to set time aside on a regular basis to attend to this. Easier said than done. But I am trying.

How does your faith impact and shape your writing?



My work is all non-fiction and is based on truths that God has revealed to me during my walk with Him. I have experienced His love, His goodness, his forgiveness, His faithfulness, His grace, among other things, and I want other women to know that these gifts are available to them.






Janelle lives in Toowoomba with her family. She is passionate about the playgroup she runs, is involved in a school-based mentoring program, and enjoys aqua aerobics and mosaicking.

13 comments:

  1. Janelle, your heart to reach others with the love of God explodes daily--through your smile, your kind and thoughtful words, your listening, empathic ear, and your gentle and consistent actions; what a joy it is to see that influential explosion gain even broader traction through your writing. I look forward to holding your debut devotional in my hands before the year ends. Thanks for sharing yourself, Janelle. That takes tremendous courage. And thanks for the Quirky Quills shout out too. One of the benefits of egging each other forward, is that we have no other choice than to go with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words Mazzy. And I look forward to holding your book in my hands before the year ends too. So grateful that God has brought us QQs together!

      Delete
  2. A lovely interview to read! Thank you, Janelle, for sharing your heart here and through those devotions you write. And that's so wonderful your first book will come out later this year--congratulations! I'm sure those notorious Quirky Quills will help you no end with your book launch and that it will be a wonderful event. See you at the Conference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo-Anne. I am very excited to see my book published! I need to keep a close eye on those QQs - they have some wild and wonderful ideas. :) I look forward to catching up with you at the Conference.

      Delete
  3. Janelle, we're so privileged to have you in Quirky Quills. Who else would listen to the rest of us rambling on? Your heart for others is amazing. Good on you for stepping out of your comfort zone and writing those devotions to share God's love with others. I can't wait to have your first devotional book in my hot little hands. You're an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nola. I can't wait either. I'm privileged to be part of QQs, thank you. :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing your Christian walk through your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Janelle. Lovely to hear about your writing journey, your passion to share God's love with others. Congrats having your book accepted for publication. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting to hear about your devotional! Good to hear a testimony about writing first thing in the morning, as Julia Cameron famously advises. Thanks for sharing, Janelle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Paula. I find if I don't write when I wake, I get busy doing other things and then struggle to stop and write. Thanks for you comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's such a delight to reflect on your writing journey, Janelle, and see those dreams in fledging form all those years ago, gradually taking wing. I anticipate the release of your upcoming devotion, and the publications that follow.

    ReplyDelete