Most Thursdays in 2019 we will be interviewing one of the members of Christian Writers Downunder – to find out a little bit more about them and their writing/editing goals.
Today interview: Ian McIntosh, Children’s Picture Book Author
Tells us three things about who you are and where you come from.
- I was born in Victoria, grew up in Normanton in outback QLD and now live in Townsville.
Tell us about your writing (or editing/illustrating etc). What do you write and why?
- I write children’s picture books and poems.
- I write children’s picture books because they are the type of story ideas that come to me. I also love working with kids, so that works well with the way I think and write. I love writing for children because I can let my imagination run wild. It is also very rewarding to see a child enjoying one of my stories.
- I write poetry because I have always liked rhyming. I have written a lot of bush poetry because of my experiences of growing up in the bush.
- I also write kid type poems and poems with life messages.
Who has read your work? Who would you like to read it?
- Lots of kids, parents and people who work with kids have read my stories. A few publishers have read my stories too, but they didn’t like them. That doesn’t worry me because my stories are not meant for them.
- I mainly want kids to read my stories and also parents and people who work with kids, because they will get the most out of them.
Tell us something about your process. What challenges do you face? What helps you the most?
- I don’t really face any challenges when writing. My stories tend to appear and I just let them come out however they do. I carry pen and paper with me all the time, as I never know when an idea is going to come to me.
- What helps me the most is to just be open to any thought turning into an idea and to be ready to start to write when something comes.
What is your favourite Writing Craft Book and why?
- Not sure if I understand this question? But I don’t have a favourite writing craft book.
If you were to give a shout-out to a CWD author, writer, editor or illustrator – who would they be?
- Jeff Townsend. We spent some time working in the Christian music/products business together.
What are your writing goals for 2019? How will you achieve them?My main two are …
- Creating a program to help emerging authors to self publish their first children’s picture book. I am currently working with a team of people to help me put this together.
- Finish the text for my 4th children’s picture book by August. I have a plan in place to help me to do this.
How does your faith impact and shape your writing?
- I pray often and know that God spenaks to me a lot about words. I believe He has created me to write, and I feel His presence when I am writing. A lot of my writing is not overtly Christian however I write a lot of poems and stories that have a message in them that draws parallels to God and faith in God.