Friday 29 March 2013

Going or Staying?

Jesus commands us to go,
It should be the exception if we stay.
It's no wonder we're moving so slow,
When God's children refuse to obey,
Feeling so called to stay.
 
I was reminded of this song by Keith Green last weekend and it's got me thinking all week. Jesus, after completing his mission on the cross and just before ascending to heaven, left us with some instructions. "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation." [Mark 16:15 NIV]
 
Somehow, I think as writers, and certainly the more introverted types of us, we can use our written words as our 'going.' We send our words out into the world, bathed in prayer, and believe they will make an impact on people. And sure, all of that is valid.
 
But I am thinking that it could become an excuse not to go out and mix with people face to face, at all. We can hide behind our computers and say 'I'm doing my bit,' and maybe we are, but is it enough?
 
 
 
God is a God of relationship. He calls us to love our neighbour, to look after the needy, and to share His love. Can we, realistically, do that from our computer screens? Communiction is after all, a lot more than words. But for a shy introvert, relating to others can take a massive effort, it goes against what we naturally lean toward.
 
I'm not here to tell you that you should be all travelling to the mission fields, or that you're not good enough.  What I am offering is a gentle challenge, to myself as well, to search ourselves and get out there in the community and build relationships with people who don't know the Lord, not just rely on our printed words.
 
Wishing you a blessed Easter. XXOO



Amanda Deed resides in the south-eastern suburbs of Melbourne where she fills her time with work, raising a family, church activities and writing historical romance novels. Her new novel, Henry's Run, is due for release on the 1st of April, 2013. For more information, see:
http://www.amandadeed.com.au/
http://amanderings.wordpress.com/

19 comments:

  1. Thanks for that challenge Amanda. It is easy to hide behind a computer screen. I think it's amazing how words can reach so many people these days, especially with the internet. You can reach a lot of the world without leaving your desk. But you're so right that we still need to be building relationships with people. Many will only come to God through those relationships. Have a blessed Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nola. Yes, I have to remind myself to get out from behind the computer at times. People are so precious.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your great post, Amanda--and good to see how words that Keith Green wrote all those years ago are still impacting people. Maybe our words will too when we aren't here any longer? One thing I have loved about my writing journey is that at times I am able to use my books to reach out to people who don't know God yet. My books become a kind of 'tool' then that enables me to say more face to face in a gentle way in some of the more 'secular' venues where I might get to speak or some of the personal conversations I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jo-Anne, I love that about the books perhaps touching someone who we will never be in contact with, and using them as a tool. I'm trying to get more speaking roles at the moment. Love to share His love with people. :)

      Delete
  3. Good challenge, Amanda. Hey, maybe when we're able to combine the both, such as having our written as well as vocal words to back each other up, we're in a really strong position.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool thought, Paula. A double-whammy of words. Love it! XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this, Amanda.
    Helpful, encouraging, and spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Amanda. Exactly what I needed to hear. I do agree that it's far easier to stay in the comfort of our homes writing (what we all love so much to do) that going out into the real world and meeting people and making a difference.

    Your blog agrees totally from what I hear God telling me this year. To give up my rights to be a writer and to go out there in my new job and touch lives not just through my writing (which is far easier for me) but by getting my hands dirty and my heart extended towards His needy world.

    Thanks for the double confirmation.
    Bless you,
    Anusha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anusha. You go for it girl. God bless. :)

      Delete
  7. Thanks Amanda. Needed that reminder.

    Have a blessed Easter...Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian. Hope you Easter is great too. :)

      Delete
  8. Here here! Let's not forget this. Thanks Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessings Catherine. Have a great Easter. :)

      Delete
  9. I've just gone from my Christian Bubble world into a very humanistic, worldly university. Still trying to figure out a language they might understand, but hope that soon I can preach the gospel, and as one person said, if it becomes necessary, I might even use words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a big challenge indeed, but I know you will be a great light there. XXOO

      Delete
  10. Thanks Amanda for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessings Susan. Have a wonderful Easter. :)

      Delete
  11. Thanks Amanda for the gentle challenge. I feel that way about my neighbours especially. We've had two fellows who lost their wives come to dinner. Another lady keeps asking us questions and we're open with her, but aware we can't push. It's definitely a sensitive area with most folk.

    ReplyDelete